Separated but cant trace ex

Options
Hi
I left my ex years ago (think last century). Have made a new life. No kids.
Can they claim any assets I have acquired since I left (pensions, legacy and a house)
Gave up all rights to matrimonial home when I left. Have no idea where they are now (very common name and cant remember any details about their birth/employment).
Have made a will specifying where my stuff is to go.
Just dont want ex to pop up and make a claim.
TIA

Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Were you married, I know you say matrimonial home but was it actually? Can you remember the address, have you checked who owns the house now? 

Did you explain your situation to the solicitor you made the will with? You did use a solicitor? That would give you more certainty about your ex's rights (but I don't think he'd have a strong claim ...)
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks Savvy Sue you have reassured me as solicitor was made aware at the time.
    You have put my mind at rest.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you actually divorced with an approved financial settlement from the courts, or separated with an informal split of assets?
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    tealady said:
    Hi
    I left my ex years ago (think last century). Have made a new life. No kids.
    Can they claim any assets I have acquired since I left (pensions, legacy and a house)
    Gave up all rights to matrimonial home when I left. Have no idea where they are now (very common name and cant remember any details about their birth/employment).
    Have made a will specifying where my stuff is to go.
    Just dont want ex to pop up and make a claim.
    TIA

They might have passed away themselves in the meantime, which if they didn't make a will and you were married, gives you their estate.

I think it would be better to see if you can formalise things to provide certainty.
  • AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 2 March at 12:42PM
    Options
    i spoke to a solicitor recently and she told me a story about a client she had.  he had divorced his wife many years ago but they didn't ask for the financial settlement as at that time neither had much so they didn't think it was necessary.  he subsequently done very well for himself and was going to get married again, only to receive the court order on the day of his wedding that his ex wants to claim assets from him as she realised that was her last chance to make a claim!

it is possible for your ex to make a claim up to when either of you re-marry and assets earned after divorce can still be claimed.
  • VyEu
    VyEu Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you have a financial remedy order? If not, if ex has not remarried, they can make a claim against you for a lump sum orders, property adjustment and/periodical payments order plus orders to do with the pension. How strong a claim they would have on any post-matrimonial assets depends on the factual matrix. If ex has remarried then the claims for pensions remain live but that's it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback