Wrong wages on HMRC

Options
purpleparrotuk
purpleparrotuk Posts: 365 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post

I have been in my current employment for nearly 4 years. I have just found out from the HMRC on the gateway site that they have my old wages on the system from about 3 years ago. I had rises of about £5000 in total since then. The problem is the HMRC have still not got the correct wages I am on. It is still £2000 lower than it should be and now have to pay over £600 extra this coming year and it should be even more due to the incorrect wages. They think I got a £3k rise recently all at once  

Could it be that the HMRC have been receiving the details but they haven’t been updating them? I will of course speak with my payroll department but it looks a bit weird this has happened and now have to pay loads at once instead of a gradual increase each time I got a pay rise. I am also guessing they will need to backdate the rises too so will end up paying loads. 

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 March at 9:18AM
    Options
    What exactly do you mean by "wrong wages" ?  Your predicted annual income or the monthly actual pay figures ?
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 March at 10:55AM
    Options
    molerat said:
    What exactly do you mean by "wrong wages" ?  Your predicted annual income or the monthly actual pay figures ?
    Indeed, I'm with molerat's thinking on this being estimated income.

It's very simple to update your estimated income online through your personal tax account (or gateway site as you call it).
    purpleparrotuk said:
    I am also guessing they will need to backdate the rises too so will end up paying loads. 
    If you take a glass half full approach, you could conclude that you have been very fortunate underpaying tax and having the benefit of the money in your pocket.
    Know what you don't
  • Devongardener
    Devongardener Posts: 404 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your employer’s payroll software will have reported your salary and tax deducted monthly under Real Time Information, so it’s not possible that it’s an HMRC error.   Have you checked your P60s against the HMRC calculations for individual years?
    I agree with others that it could be predicted income for the current year, but not from 3 years back.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is the apparent discrepancy in estimated income having an impact that alters the OP's tax code?
    If not, then the tax paid under PAYE should be correct regardless.
    Has the OP reviewed the tax code notification?  
    It is quite possible for an estimated income (for the purpose of tax code calculation) to be £5k less than actual salary - the most obvious factor would be salary sacrifice pension contributions.
    Obviously, the OP needs to confirm that actual income is correctly recorded.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback