Do councils have a deadline to relocate elderly people in nursing homes?

Options
2»

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have a word with your area's councillor. I imagine that they all have sessions where you can go along to meet them.
  • The_Walker
    The_Walker Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well it seems the reason for the silence has been revealed.....

My mother was surprised by a telephone interview from a social worker today she didn't know, asking her why she wants to go to a care home and not live in the house with my brother, and how all this would affect my brother. It seems my brother has delayed her move somehow and convinced them his interests are very important and my mother needs to reconsider.

I'm flabbergasted this has happened, and puzzled how he has managed to influence them like this over my mothers wishes to live in a nursing home with 24hr care since her recent stroke. I am suspicious they would prefer she lives in the house with my brother for financial reasons? No doubt they would rather not pay for a nursing home when a house with visiting carers would be so much cheaper. 

Am I being too cynical here? lol I'm just trying to figure all this out. The sad thing is it has resulted in my mother waiting even longer to be moved closer to her family, and time is the one thing she may not have much of.
  • The_Walker
    The_Walker Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought I'd post an update on this, and it's fairly positive.....

It turns out the original social worker in charge of my mother's case did indeed disappear off sick I assume. And the new social worker seems very pro-active. Having met my mother and assessed her as mentally competent he agrees with her wishes and it looks like we're on track again.

For various reasons it's best I get power of attorney and my mother agrees. Then I can sort her financial issues out and give the council whatever documents they are asking for.

The new social worker seems to acknowledge my brother may not have her best interests at heart, and she prefers  I manage her affairs moving forward. This is a huge relief because there's nothing worse than your efforts being thwarted by someone acting purely out of self interest. I had to take time explaining everything carefully for the social worker and that has paid off thankfully.

I've visited several care homes now in preparation for her move, and we just need to make it happen.

I'm going to ask the social worker if he will be the certificate provider for the POA application, since most other people are ineligible. Having assessed her mental capacity already I'm thinking he'd be the ideal person? Any thoughts on that?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 March at 1:57PM
    Options
    I thought I'd post an update on this, and it's fairly positive.....

It turns out the original social worker in charge of my mother's case did indeed disappear off sick I assume. And the new social worker seems very pro-active. Having met my mother and assessed her as mentally competent he agrees with her wishes and it looks like we're on track again.

For various reasons it's best I get power of attorney and my mother agrees. Then I can sort her financial issues out and give the council whatever documents they are asking for.

The new social worker seems to acknowledge my brother may not have her best interests at heart, and she prefers  I manage her affairs moving forward. This is a huge relief because there's nothing worse than your efforts being thwarted by someone acting purely out of self interest. I had to take time explaining everything carefully for the social worker and that has paid off thankfully.

I've visited several care homes now in preparation for her move, and we just need to make it happen.

I'm going to ask the social worker if he will be the certificate provider for the POA application, since most other people are ineligible. Having assessed her mental capacity already I'm thinking he'd be the ideal person? Any thoughts on that?
    Pleased that you have some movement at last.

Although if your mother has capacity around the LPA  it doesn’t really matter what the social worker prefers with regards to who support her with the power of attorney as it is completely your mother’s choice. 

i’m not sure if a social worker would agree to be a certificate provider for a power-of-attorney although you can ask. They may feel that is outside of their remit for a legal document. And capacity around where she lives is different to capacity around the power of attorney, so the social worker would not have specifically assessed that anyway. 

Do you think your brother is likely to challenge the power of attorney in the future because if so, this may be one of the times when it would be worth paying a solicitor to make sure it is done properly, referencing a possible dispute. 

Capacity guidance for LPA here so that everyone is clear on what she needs to understand. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback