Query about CCJ and Cabot Letter

Options
Hi All, 
Hope this is the right category. 

I recently downloaded a credit app and found 2 CCJ's against my name. I paid for a trust online report then emailed the courts, no response. I then called and waited 1.5 hours to get the info of the creditors. I have had 4-5 addresses over the last few years and didn't get any correspondence. The debt is mine though from a frivolous, stupid youth. 

The lesser one for £1400 I have contacted and made an offer to hopefully settle, it hits 6 years next October.

The bigger one for £4k hits 6 years this December.

My query is this, I have the CCJ but Cabot recently sent me a letter for the exact same thing and said "you haven't contacted us for over 21 days etc) so I made a payment of £100. This is before I found out and saw it's the same reference as the CCJ. 

Is the debt duplicated or can it be for the same as the CCJ? My friend seems to think that if it's hit a CCJ, I shouldn't be getting normal letters from them for the same debt. 

Cheers in advance. 
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    You still owe the money so they can ask for payment how they like.

Often debts wih a ccj are sold to another company who is not told about the ccj.
  • Royoftherovers2024
    Options
    If they have already registered a CCJ against you, settle or not they will drop off your credit file once 6 years has passed. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback