Understanding Wills

I understand how to do the grant of probate and the inheritance tax BUT understanding the legal speak of a will is baffling me. Do I need to get a solicitor to translate it or can I go elsewhere? TIA

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,607 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Well for starters you could post the bits you don’t understand on here. Don't include any personal details though. 
  • SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    When I had a query as executor about the wording of my mum's Will I did as @Keep_pedalling suggested and posted the relevant section on here first, and got some consistent interpretations as to the meaning. I did then ask a solicitor, who confirmed what I'd been told, fortunately at no cost as it was a solicitor that I'd previously (and subsequently) used for my own Will.
  • msb1234
    msb1234 Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When my mum died I had a free 1 hour appointment with a local solicitor. I took all the relevant documents and she explained the will to me, which seemed quite simple but there were a couple of things that were problematic. Her explanation was invaluable. 
  • RaiStay
    RaiStay Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    At the beginning of Clause 4 it says

This clause shall not take effect unless the gift made to my wife by clause 5a of this will takes effect

Does that mean I disregard clause 4? 5a is about a percentage he wants to give to charity

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,607 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Unfortunately none of the images are showing, but the bit about clause 4 not being effective because of clause 5a in favour of a gift to the testator’s wife does not make sense as clause 5a does not seem to give anything to their wife. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback