We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Growing Euonymus alatus in container

Options
SiliconChip
SiliconChip Posts: 1,372 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
I was very taken by the brilliant colours of a Euonymus altus that I saw last October (see picture below), and having come across one while browsing in a garden centre today I made the snap decision to buy it. I could find a place to plant it in the garden but I'd quite like to be able to take it with me should I move house so I wondered if it would be feasible to plant it in a container. What do you think?

Comments

• Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    There's a variety that would fit in a large planter because it's a dwarf shrub rather than something that would grow into a tree. That's Euonymus alatus 'Compactus,' which is the one in your photo. It has an RHS Award of Garden Merit.
    If your one isn't 'Compactus' it may not be happy long term in a planter, but you could try it as a sort of giant bonsai and restrict the roots/prune more. Don't forget all potted shrubs need feeding, and a change of some soil too, every few years
    Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
  • SiliconChip
    edited 29 February at 9:27AM
    Options
    It doesn't say Compactus on the label but the size information (height 80 cm, spread 100 cm) seems to align with the Compactus description given by the RHS rather than that for the larger version, so I'm hoping that's what it is (I should note that it was a little smaller than the other two plants at the garden centre, and was priced £3 less).
    Thanks for your advice, I think I'll give it a go in a planter, and hopefully it won't need the be bonsaied to keep it to a reasonable size. Although given the 10-20 year predection to reach ultimate size it may still be growing when I get added to the soil myself :)
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,566 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    When i knew I was going to move I put a load of essentials in pots including a lilac tree.
    It's still surviving in a larger pot. I don't think I lost anything and that was a couple of years plus.

Dusty is very knowledgeable and for sure that's probably what you should do but gardening is an adventure and you don't know until you try  :D
    I'd give it a go. You can always keep an eye for the ultimate stress on the plant and put it in soil later.
    Buy another as a house warming present if you can't dig it out for the move.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• SiliconChip
    Options
    I've bought a nice planter for it (which actually cost over twice as much as the plant) so I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    twopenny said:
    Dusty is very knowledgeable ....
    Dusty is very tight and grew his Spindle trees from seed, 'borrowed' from somewhere or other. The resulting offspring aren't named varieties, but they fruit and colour-up OK. I notice they tend to have one good year followed by a resting year when they have fewer fruits.

Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
  • GreenBucket24
    GreenBucket24 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've bought a nice planter for it (which actually cost over twice as much as the plant) so I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
    @SiliconChip
    Hopefully, you are enjoying watching the growth of your E. Alatus plant. 
    Yes, this plant can be a great specimen in big pot, you just need to maintain and top-dress it annually. This is how it looks in a pot during different seasons ... as I planted one of this ... best to position in a sheltered and dappled light. It is sensitive to strong winds.

the transformation of its foliage colours during different seasons is fascinatingly beautiful...

During Summer, it bears tiny insignificant creamy flowers ...

After losing all its leaves in mid to late Autumn, beautiful small berries will appear.

Its Winter winged stems are equally interesting as a feature when it is dormant. 

"My gardening illustrates my artistic passion with plants" - GreenBucket24
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    And if you WANT to keep it in a pot long term - there's probably a limit to what you would call 'portable' when moving, but at least it's on sale ;) 

https://www.suttonmanornursery.co.uk/garden-pots/the-mediterranean-pots/the-mediterranean-pot-173-colour-terracotta/

I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    And if you WANT to keep it in a pot long term - there's probably a limit to what you would call 'portable' when moving, but at least it's on sale ;) 

https://www.suttonmanornursery.co.uk/garden-pots/the-mediterranean-pots/the-mediterranean-pot-173-colour-terracotta/

Thankfully, it has free P & P :) . Do they do a saucer with it?

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Paspatur
    Paspatur Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shame, they don't deliver to my postcode :D
  • GreenBucket24
    GreenBucket24 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 March at 12:31AM
    Options

@ArbitraryRandom
    Quite hard finding these types and sizes of pots in our area. It took us 2 yrs finding the one we have in our backyard, because we like unique and elegant!

You are correct, moving them after a while will be very challenging! However, you can hire a lowry that can transport them as we did one time.
    "My gardening illustrates my artistic passion with plants" - GreenBucket24
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure