Child benefit credits

Options
My husband claims our child benefit but will now earn over 60k in April. 
I'm a stay at home wife.
If I transfer the child benefit into my name and we carry on claiming child benefit and paying back each tax year, would this still give me the national insurance credits to fill in my gap years until our child turns 12?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes. You can make a claim without receiving the benefit if you wish, saves having to pay it back.  What have you been doing about the past credits ?
  • Harpermrs
    Harpermrs Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I applied for child benefit March 22 when my baby was born but opened not to receive payments as my husband would likely under towards £60k meaning we would paying a late amount back. Obviously this has now changed going forwards from April but I was given the option to backdate these payments…

does anybody know if I can backdate that back to the original date of March 22?

My husband has been poorly and earned around £50k per annum for the last two years so we would actually have been better off and not paid much tax on it.

if I am able to backdate it can he then pay the tax on those two years now?it would only be a small amount if any 
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Harpermrs said:
    Hi, I applied for child benefit March 22 when my baby was born but opened not to receive payments as my husband would likely under towards £60k meaning we would paying a late amount back. Obviously this has now changed going forwards from April but I was given the option to backdate these payments…

does anybody know if I can backdate that back to the original date of March 22?

My husband has been poorly and earned around £50k per annum for the last two years so we would actually have been better off and not paid much tax on it.

if I am able to backdate it can he then pay the tax on those two years now?it would only be a small amount if any 
    As advised on another thread where you asked the same question, no, you can only backdate it for a maximum of 3 months. 
  • askingmoneyquestions
    Options
    I earned less than £50k last year but my employer messed up my promotion income the year before and therefore I received a lump sum in the same year for the previous years earnings. Is there anyway this can be discounted when considering child benefit repayments? Technically I’m over the threshold on paper but the year before I was significantly below because of the payroll issue. If this can’t be considered and discounted through HMRC, should I approach my employer for financial support, I’m looking at needing to pay £1k back for child benefits due to this accounting error? Thank you 
  • askingmoneyquestions
    Options
    I earned less than £50k last year but my employer messed up my promotion income the year before and therefore I received a lump sum in the same year for the previous years earnings. Is there anyway this can be discounted when considering child benefit repayments? Technically I’m over the threshold on paper but the year before I was significantly below because of the payroll issue. If this can’t be considered and discounted through HMRC, should I approach my employer for financial support, I’m looking at needing to pay £1k back for child benefits due to this accounting error? Thank you 
    Please would some one advise if there is something I can do here? Thanks so much 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Perhaps nobody reading this knows.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business