Redundancy Pay for less than 2 years

Options
I've just been told my role is being made redundant due to restructuring. I'm now in consultation period ending 27th March. I complete 2 years in 20th April. And I won't be asked to server notice. Which means they will pay me 1 month notice and terminate me on 27th March. 

Do I stand a chance to ask for 2 years redundancy pay or will it be considered as employment of less than 2 years? Thanks

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If they give you a months notice from 27/2 then your employment will end before the 2 years is up - I'm sorry there is nothing you can do about this.

Some employers do this to avoid the employment rights that kick in after two years.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    From a previous conversation with ACAS they stated redundancy -v- length of service is based on the date notice is served not the last working day. So if they make the announcement on the 28th March you will have had less than two years employment and not be entitled to any statutory redundancy monies. 

Read your contract on the redundancy period, the one time I was made redundant I was mildly pleasantly surprised to find it stated they'd always pay a minimum of 1 months redundancy even if you were under 2 years service so got 3 months notice plus the 1 month and wasn't required to work the notice
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback