Credit Rating from Scratch - What to do?

Options
So I decided to join here, in the hope that someone can point me in the right direction... because I am currently completely and utterly lost.

Here's my situation:
  • I have no credit score or history.
  • Suffered a disability diagnosis a few years ago.
  • I lived abroad most of my 20s and have never had a credit card or even rented in the UK.
  • Used pay-as-you-go mobile until a month ago when I finally realised I needed to build some kind of credit score.
  • I live in NI, and bank with Ulster Bank (unfortunately), who tell me flat out that they won't give me a credit card. Neither will Santander.
  • I have pretty decent savings, I've never been in debt and I'm a pretty responsible spender.
  • Currently unemployed but hoping to change that very soon.
Basically what I'm looking for... can anyone give me some sort of advice on how to build my credit score? I'm finding it so frustrating that I can't get a credit card - it's such a Catch-22 situation to be in. I've looked at things like credit builder cards, but I have no idea what is trustworthy or what is the best option. And I've even been rejected by them on occasion!

Any advice would be truly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    1) ignore your credit score, no-one ever sees it
    2) try and get a SIM only mobile contract, that will build some credit history (assuming you pay it off every month)
    3) A credit builder card from someone like Vanquis or Cap One is a good idea but no chance you'll get one without a job
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback