Microsoft Office subscription

Options
Cazzaroo
Cazzaroo Posts: 135 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 27 February at 10:44AM in Student MoneySaving
Hi,

I'm a mum of a undergraduate Uni student.  My annual MS Office subscription came out of my account today.  On doing a bit of searching, I found out that if an account is set up using my son's Uni email address, he can get it for free.

He has an Apple laptop.

My question is, will it still work on his laptop (there is something about PC only) and can I use it as well on my desktop?  

Thanks in advance.

Caz
Treat others how you would like to be treated. 🤞

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It appears that only your son can get Office for free.  You would need to buy a licence or pay a subscription
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    Options
    Office 365 is OS agnostic however certain apps are only available on certain platforms. So if he subscribes to the free tier he'll be able to run Excel, Word etc but if he paid for the higher tier then Publisher, Access are Windows only.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Cheaper to buy an office licence from someone like Gamers Outlet - Office Proffessional Pro for less than £10. You buy the licence and they take you to a download for the correct version for your PC / laptop / Mac.

They do work, do update, and are genuine copies. Cheaper than a subscription.

• DullGreyGuy
    Options
    Cheaper to buy an office licence from someone like Gamers Outlet - Office Proffessional Pro for less than £10. You buy the licence and they take you to a download for the correct version for your PC / laptop / Mac.

How is £10 cheaper than £0?
    If you read the feedback it also says that it doesn't work on a Mac which the OP states its to be installed on

The site very much looks like one of those illegally reselling corporate activation codes hence it being "pro" and only usable once etc. 
  • YBR
    YBR Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Is the subscription yours for your machine, or for your son?
    He can get it free while a student, and it may be best for him to sort himself out.

It doesn't answer the question but you could consider LibreOffice instead?
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

If you read the feedback it also says that it doesn't work on a Mac which the OP states its to be installed on

The site very much looks like one of those illegally reselling corporate activation codes hence it being "pro" and only usable once etc. 

You buy the license then download the latest version from the microsoft website. Sounds highly illegal. I thought it might be helpful to someone, and obviously it helped keep you entertained reading the reviews. 

For many people a one off payment for the latest office software (ignore the 2021 you download the latest) is better than an annual subscription. If the OP can get it for her son free then great, although he probably won't be a student for ever.

The OP may also consider £8.63 a reasonable price for a second copy for her PC. When I got a new laptop I was offered Office from Dell for a huge sum, I checked PC world and I think it was in the region of £500. I used Gamers outlet, I couldn't load my Office CD and the tech support very quickly helped me get it up and running.
  • DullGreyGuy
    Options

You buy the license then download the latest version from the microsoft website. Sounds highly illegal. I thought it might be helpful to someone, and obviously it helped keep you entertained reading the reviews. 

For many people a one off payment for the latest office software (ignore the 2021 you download the latest) is better than an annual subscription. If the OP can get it for her son free then great, although he probably won't be a student for ever.

The OP may also consider £8.63 a reasonable price for a second copy for her PC. When I got a new laptop I was offered Office from Dell for a huge sum, I checked PC world and I think it was in the region of £500. I used Gamers outlet, I couldn't load my Office CD and the tech support very quickly helped me get it up and running.
    You are buying the license not the software hence you can download the software from anywhere, as long as it's the right version. 

Not saying explicitly from this site, and there are others selling them at $0.75, but they are generally reselling licenses from massive corporates who ultimately cannot easily track if they have 200,000 or 200,010 live users across the globe at any one time. As you aren't their employee the license is invalid and you are using the software illegitimately.

Probability of anything go wrong is slim but the lack of consequences shouldn't justify the action. Plus you're paying for stolen property which always irks to some degree.  
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

You are buying the license not the software hence you can download the software from anywhere, as long as it's the right version. 

Not saying explicitly from this site, and there are others selling them at $0.75, but they are generally reselling licenses from massive corporates who ultimately cannot easily track if they have 200,000 or 200,010 live users across the globe at any one time. As you aren't their employee the license is invalid and you are using the software illegitimately.

Probability of anything go wrong is slim but the lack of consequences shouldn't justify the action. Plus you're paying for stolen property which always irks to some degree.  
    I thought they were excess licences from hardware manufacturers who were supplying the software with their laptop/ computer sales. So the likes of Dell may buy the right to supply 100k licences with their laptop sales and don’t use them all.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback