Neighbour mistreating cat

Options

Long story short. We'd feed a cat in our garden that looked v close to death - wouldn't come in the house. Found out who owned it and got a message to them. They could not be bothered and had many opportunities to come and get the poor cat and take it to vets. In the end we called RSPCA.

They still didn't so RSPCA pretty much forced them. Not sure if they ever did mind or whether RSPCA checked.

So ended up this cat decided to live with us. Got better but it was old. We sent the owners pics never heard from them.

Months later the poor thing is struggling and we think might need to go and needs to see a vet at least. So I messaged the owners out of courtesy to give them the opportunity to take the cat - bad idea I wish I'd just taken the cat myself and paid. Hes now asking for his cat back after months and telling me hes calling the police if I don't give it back.

I don't get it hes not cared for months. I just don't trust him to take the cat to the vets (won't say if he is or not just wants it back!) I can see him sticking the poor thing in the car and dumping it miles away to save a vets bill.

Like I said wish I'd not told him now!

What to do?

Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could take the cat to vets and give them the owners details.
  • strawbeery90
    strawbeery90 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    That's so awful to hear. just take the cat to vets and give details about the owner. 
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Theres a special place in hell for people like him.....

I'm happy to take the cat to vets but I fear the worse. Its better than the poor thing suffering though.
    Its just I didn't think it was right to have the cat put down possibly without telling him. Wish I hadn't bothered.
  • paulfoel
    Options
    I'll pay myself if needs be thats not an issue. Hes got a massive house but its his conscience.....
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    Options
    I think the welfare of the cat is your priority. Send a message to the RSPCA but take the cat to the vet and explain the situation.
    I agree, I'd hate to see a cat suffering.
    As long as you can reference you had concerns about neglect and contacted a third party early on. My worse concern is your neighbour will sort the problem out in another inappropriate way.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • Mrs_Z
    Mrs_Z Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Awful situation but I agree with Triple H, the welfare of the cat is the priority. I would take it to the vets, and if the vet’s opinion is that it is kinder to put it to sleep, then so be it. And to be honest, I don’t think I would bother to tell the owner either given that they have missed so many opportunities to look after it. The question is if the vets offer to run blood tests etc to find out what’s wrong with the cat, they can be costly. Would you be prepared to pay? Even putting a cat to sleep carries cost. 
  • paulfoel
    Options
    Its just weird how he obviously didn't even want the cat any more to begin with. Which is why we were forced to call the RSPCA. Its been in our house for 6 months and hes not bothered and suddenly its his cat that he wants back. I don't get it.

Wish I hadn't said anything to be honest. I only did it because I know hes got kids and they might want to say goodbye. Of course, I'd rather he paid for the vet - after all I've been feeding and looking after his car for free!

Push comes to shove yet I'll pay - for the cats sake. Will annoy me this scumbag is sitting there dodging his responsibilty though.
  • Mrs_Z
    Mrs_Z Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sometimes your only thank you is the comfort knowing that you've done the right thing. Unfortunately there are many irresponsible people out there who should not be allowed to keep pets (or having children for that matter). I would just ignore his texts or communications and just do what's right for the cat and keep quiet about it, he's had enough chances. Bet he'll give up sooner than later.
    It's so sad - for the cat, for the children, for other people who are left dealing with other people's indifference causing unnecessary suffering to others.
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know if it mattered to her, but it did matter to us when we had our cat put to sleep 2 years ago. Also hoping that her brain was gone on her last day so she was oblivious to her suffering but only knew the fuss and love in her last few hours.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport