Sharm El Sheikh - how much money?

Options
We're off to Sharm in a few weeks staying in an all inclusive for seven nights.

We have no plans to leave the resort, just literally going for heat and sunshine - don't judge!

Travel to and from airport is part of the package. 

We have the usual credit card suspects like Halifax Clarity and Revolut so on that basis I'm wondering how much Egyptian currency to get as it seems to me it will be used for tipping only

Any advice from people who have stayed in Sharm before? 

Thanks

Comments

• njkmr
    njkmr Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    i wouldnt bother getting any.
    Im sure they will accept English currency if you choose to tip them
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If you can get a good rate on epounds I'd get some for tipping. There's quite a lot expected.
    I also found that I needed more water than was provided, fancied some chocolate from the store outside. 

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,334 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    njkmr said:
    Changing coins would be difficult for them, and a fiver is a bit much for a tip.

Maybe get some Scottish pound notes?
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am sure they get loads of European visitors so they will be grateful for euro,s for tips. 
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,394 Forumite
    Options
    "Maybe get some Scottish pound notes?"
    I haven't seen any up here for many years.
    About as much chance of them being welcomed in Egypt as Confederate Dollars :D

• IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,212 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 28 February at 9:11AM
    Options
    Giving a £1 or £2 coin (or Euro equivalent) should not be an issue in Egypt. In the past I have been asked a few times if I would change the appropriate number of £1 or £2 coins into a £10 or £20 note. I have no problem with this, because it then gives me a supply of £1 coins for tips. If you agree to exchange coins then check that you are not being offered a mixture of Euros and sterling. 

I would however suggest taking a small amount of local currency, have always found it useful for those days when we did venture out. I usually take about £100 of Egyptian notes, and still have the equivalent of about £60 left over from our last trip.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    njkmr said:
    Changing coins would be difficult for them, and a fiver is a bit much for a tip.

Maybe get some Scottish pound notes?
    The bar staff are always looking to change a handful of coins into notes which they can then exchange for local currency.

Tipping is t necessarily expected, but if you chose the recipient wisely then you def get VIP treatment from them (not that you get poor service if you don’t tip)

For instance, if you find a good sunbathing spot - tipping the pool person may ensure you get that spot for the rest of the week. 

• NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,394 Forumite
    Options
    Just to be clear on the suggestion - I would forget about Scottish £1 notes for tipping abroad.
    As I said, they are rarely seen in their native domain nowadays - I can hardly remember the last time I saw one in everyday transactions, they are clearly being phased out.
    When those few that are still doing the rounds are eventually deposited at Scottish banks they are withdrawn from further circulation.
    They haven't been offered in change for many years - and shops etc. will not accept them too readily.

As for UK coinage - we were on a cruise line coach excursion a few years back where the tour guide was asking guests if they would accept £1 and/or £2 coins in exchange for English notes, the higher the value the better.
    Local banks wouldn't take British coins, which is understandable, however the problem from the guests perspective would be howfing a load of brass around and there was reluctance in practice to accommodate the request.

• BerkshireLass78
    Options
    Jumping on this a few months late - I'm reading that coins are now a massive no as is getting hold of Egyptian Pounds outside of the country, likewise using a cashpoint to withdraw in Egypt is also an issue.

I'm reading that either taking USDs in notes or taking GBP and using exchange machines are the preferred methods but has anyone got any up to date info on this as it seems to be changing pretty fast?

I'm a born worrier and travelling next month I really need to have a clear idea as to what is best as everything seems so confused right now.

Thanks!
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Nothing is changing at all, ultimately people will accept whatever you give them as their salaries are terrible and they need the money. Like most countries, it's relatively easy to exchange notes but very difficult to exchange coins hence you will people asking you to exchange notes to coins. If you are willing to do this be careful of what you are accepting, it can be a mixed bag of GBP, Euro, fakes etc.

USD has the advantage of having the $1 and $5 notes which may be more appropriate for tipping than £5 but its difficult to withdraw these in material amounts here as most FX places prefer to give you higher denomination notes. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback