New scam: Fake Martin Lewis interview

Options
Just came across this website when I opened Microsoft Edge browser. Its front page or Home page generates all sorts of "news" from all kinds of sources among which this headline caught my eyes:  "Martin Lewis is being sued by the Bank of England...". Basically this article (screenshot below) says during an interview with Ben Shephard on ITV GMB program Martin accidentally "leaked" a link to a "make money quick" website etc...

The article is still online as of today. This domain was created a couple of weeks ago and it seems it's for the purpose of holding that article only: https://informationaboutmartin.org/

The article contains a link to a website that would try all the tricks to entice you to invest, and it uses some very famous people's faces to claim they are their clients all of them have earn big money quickly.

No double it bears all the sights of a scam (it even got Martin's gender wrong, well I'm not aware he's a trans😊)
To my big surprise I haven't seen anyone taking actions against the websites (to my knowledge) . And I wonder how it managed to get into Microsoft news generating engine given that it's only a weeks old website/domain?

Comments

• Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,387 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see, especially if Microsoft features in it anywhere. These scams have been going on for years. I've yet to see a clear explanation as to why, though there must be one.
    Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see, especially if Microsoft features in it anywhere. These scams have been going on for years. I've yet to see a clear explanation as to why, though there must be one.
    Isn't that Marvin not Martin :)
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,387 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    Isn't that Marvin not Martin :)
    Well spotted! :D

Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    This ones been doing the rounds, with a different celebrities.
    The celebrity apparently lets slip that they are making money with a little known loophole, "whoops! did I say that? Oh no! Bank of England will hate me"
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    as for the gender - it's obviously a cut and paste from another scam ad (the one with the female from dragon's den) and they haven't corrected it.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,184 Community Admin
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    Options
    Whilst everyone who has posted in this thread so far is obviously savvy and well-informed, for the record here's a link to MSE's definitive guide to fake adverts purporting to show endorsement by Martin or MSE: 

Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 27 February at 5:45PM
    Options
    Confucious say: everything on the internet is fake unless it can be proved not to be - and even then it's fake
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,179 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It is obviously a scam as the Bof E never respond quickly to anything !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback