PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a shared ownership home

Hi all, hope someone can help, this is bit of an unusual one. We are currently in the process of buying a house. The house was a 50% shared ownership with previous owners, they left their share to their son. We are buying the 100% freehold. As I understand it the son is staircasing to 100% and then simultaneously selling to us, this has all been agreed but the housing management company that own the other 50%.
The issue I have is that our solicitors have sent us the home buyers legal report and it states " the interest you are buying is the leasehold". It then later in the document goes on to confirm the staircasing plan. Now I'm obviously not a conveyancer but I believe at no point are we buying a leasehold as the seller will own 100% and the freehold when he sells to us. I've questioned it with the solicitors but they say it's correct and no need to change it. I just don't feel comfortable signing something with a statement that I don't believe is correct. Had anybody had similar situation of buying 100% of a current shared ownership home? 

Comments

• gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Could you not just ask for it in writing that once you 'complete' you will own the freehold as well as 100% of the property?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You may be purchasing the 100% interest in the leasehold property and the freehold separately.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

Is it a Housing Association property?

Many HAs will automatically transfer the freehold, once the leasehold owner has staircased to 100% ownership.

It's probably worth contacting the HA to ask them how the process works, when you staircase to 100% at the same time as purchasing. 

• jovisd79
    jovisd79 Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    eddddy said:

Is it a Housing Association property?

Many HAs will automatically transfer the freehold, once the leasehold owner has staircased to 100% ownership.

It's probably worth contacting the HA to ask them how the process works, when you staircase to 100% at the same time as purchasing. 

The thing is, the way I understand it, the seller is staircasing to 100% so he will have the freehold to sell to us, that's why I don't understand why the solicitors have stated im buying the leasehold. I'll speak to them again on Monday but it's just added stress, cheers guys
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    jovisd79 said:

The thing is, the way I understand it, the seller is staircasing to 100% so he will have the freehold to sell to us, that's why I don't understand why the solicitors have stated im buying the leasehold. I'll speak to them again on Monday but it's just added stress, cheers guys

The Housing Association will deal with the staircasing and transferring the freehold - it will all happen on completion day.

It would be daft for the Housing Association to transfer the freehold to the seller, and then the seller transfer the freehold to you, all on the same day. So I imagine that the Housing Association will just transfer the freehold direct to you.

The Housing Association (or their solicitor) will work with your solicitor on this.

If you ask your solicitor about this, the following will probably happen...
    - your solicitor will ask the seller's solicitor
    - the seller's solicitor will ask the seller
    - the seller will ask the Housing Association

So it might be much quicker if you ask the Housing Association how it works, and get the ball rolling.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback