Gas meter not registering usage

modeno65
modeno65 Posts: 14 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi All - some advice needed

16 months ago we had a new kitchen installed and needed the gas meter moved. Contacted provider who charged a fee and booked an enginer to carry out the work. Never turned up on the day so got a part refund and a rebook. Engineer turned up to 2nd appt but said he was here to swap meter not move it - and if he swapped it that would be my visit complete and I would have to pay for another visit to move the meter. Sent him away then 5 minutes later recieved a call to say that engineer to move meter would be here soon. 2 visits for 1 job!!  Lass turned up saying she was only supposed to deal with emergencies but would move meter. Eventually meter moved and all was good.
Roll on to now and we havent recieved a bill. (Money has been put aside). Got a letter from what is basically a debt company who sent a gas engineer to check meter - obviously for some kind of fraud
Turns out the meter has been incorrectly fitted and as such has NOT registered any usage

So my next step will be to contact the provider to sort the meter out BUT am I liable for any payments if no usage has been taken. I would understand if i got charged the daily rate over the period

Anybody had any similar dealings or advice on how to procede

Thanks

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,600 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    modeno65 said:
    Hi All - some advice needed

16 months ago we had a new kitchen installed and needed the gas meter moved. Contacted provider who charged a fee and booked an enginer to carry out the work. Never turned up on the day so got a part refund and a rebook. Engineer turned up to 2nd appt but said he was here to swap meter not move it - and if he swapped it that would be my visit complete and I would have to pay for another visit to move the meter. Sent him away then 5 minutes later recieved a call to say that engineer to move meter would be here soon. 2 visits for 1 job!!  Lass turned up saying she was only supposed to deal with emergencies but would move meter. Eventually meter moved and all was good.
    Roll on to now and we havent recieved a bill. (Money has been put aside). Got a letter from what is basically a debt company who sent a gas engineer to check meter - obviously for some kind of fraud
    Turns out the meter has been incorrectly fitted and as such has NOT registered any usage

So my next step will be to contact the provider to sort the meter out BUT am I liable for any payments if no usage has been taken. I would understand if i got charged the daily rate over the period

Anybody had any similar dealings or advice on how to procede

Thanks
    You will be charged the standing charge as well as an estimate of your usage ove the relevant period.
  • modeno65
    Thanks- I was afraid of that answer. Is an estimated usage a legal thing or in T&Cs?
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,600 Forumite
    modeno65 said:
    Thanks- I was afraid of that answer. Is an estimated usage a legal thing or in T&Cs?
    It is based on guidance from the regulator. If you have been with the same provider in previous years then that is used as a starting figure, if you can make a reasonable argument that you reduced usage then that may be accepted, but expect to be quizzed on it. 

Are you trying to understand what you might be billed, or are you hoping for some loophole to try and not pay?
  • Phones4Chris
    Phones4Chris Posts: 843 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    How can a gas meter be moved and not correctly fitted so as to not record any usage? Is it a "smart" meter? Does it not have a screen or dial if an older meter, showing usage?
  • modeno65
    MattMatt - just trying to  suss my liability before trying to negotiate with them. Obviously the standng daily rate will be a no brainer and fully accepted but usage could be anything from 0 to whatever so was wondeing if there is a precedent to the situation. Basically not trying to dodge a payment but trying to argue a case whereby  I dont get fleeced lol
  • modeno65
    Phones4 - Good question. Repacement meter should have been keycard but they had none so fitted a normal' one with LCD display. This display does not show anything. Guy who looked at it says its something to do with the way its fitted and the position of the ECV to the meter. I thought the ECV is literally an on/off lever allowing gas flow so I cant fathom out how it affects it. Will report back when I get somewhere but knowig my provider could be a few months
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    edited 24 February at 7:05PM
    modeno65 said:
    MattMatt - just trying to  suss my liability before trying to negotiate with them. Obviously the standng daily rate will be a no brainer and fully accepted but usage could be anything from 0 to whatever so was wondeing if there is a precedent to the situation. Basically not trying to dodge a payment but trying to argue a case whereby  I dont get fleeced lol
    The use of an estimate in this sort of case is well established as the correct procedure with support from Ofgem and the Ombudsman service so if the supplier goes down that path then you can certainly debate the basis for the estimation, but it would typically be on the same period in the previous year, or if you can argue why that would not be reasonable then it could be based on current use.
    An obvious question that may arise is how you took 16 months to notice there was no reading on the meter, and did not at any point during that period query the lack of a bill?
    It may help your case in trying to influence the basis for the estimate if there is some rational explanation for the lack of action on your part.

• Phones4Chris
    Phones4Chris Posts: 843 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @modeno65 so the display doesn't come to life if you press any buttons on it?
  • modeno65
    Sorry for delay - nothing, Its as if I have a direct gas feed that happens to pass through a meter. Still no response off provider

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback