Revolut credit card overcharged amount and refund denied

Options
hi guys I’m looking for some help and guidance . Whilst on holiday I was over charged by £60 on a taxi journey whilst using my Revolut account , I think the driver had fat fingers and double clicked . Before being able to get a receipt the driver drove off. I reported the issue to the city council who regulate and license the taxis. The council have told me the exact amount that I should have been charged .The outcome is the driver has had his licence revoked , has been reported to the consumer protection authority and the police . All this is evidenced in emails from the council. I have complained to Revolut with the above information but they are refusing to refund me because I do not have a receipt . Even though I have explained the situation . Revolut will only act upon having a receipt but that would only say what I was actually charged and not the true cost of the journey .
Revolut seem to be blaming visa for the rules  as they are the original card provider .
frustrating situation any suggestions from you lovely people. Do I contact the fca or visa ? Or just put it down to bad experience 

Comments

• SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Given that the authorities in the place you were on holiday appear to have completely agreed with you is there any reason why you haven't asked the taxi company for a refund?
  • jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 670 Forumite
    Options
    This is not really answering your question, but avoid Revolut in future. Their customer service is terrible.

Better to use a credit card such as Barclaycard Rewards or a debit card from First Direct, Chase, or Starling.

Do not contact the FCA as their job is not to deal with consumer complaints. You could raise a complaint with the Ombudsman though.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,474 Forumite
    Options
    dkhine1 said:
    hi guys I’m looking for some help and guidance . Whilst on holiday I was over charged by £60 on a taxi journey whilst using my Revolut account , I think the driver had fat fingers and double clicked . Before being able to get a receipt the driver drove off. I reported the issue to the city council who regulate and license the taxis. The council have told me the exact amount that I should have been charged .The outcome is the driver has had his licence revoked , has been reported to the consumer protection authority and the police . All this is evidenced in emails from the council. I have complained to Revolut with the above information but they are refusing to refund me because I do not have a receipt . Even though I have explained the situation . Revolut will only act upon having a receipt but that would only say what I was actually charged and not the true cost of the journey .
    Revolut seem to be blaming visa for the rules  as they are the original card provider .
    frustrating situation any suggestions from you lovely people. Do I contact the fca or visa ? Or just put it down to bad experience 
    1st off you are not a customer of Visa & they do not have any customer facing staff. You have to deal with your card provider, Revoult.

Revoult are right you need a receipt to prove your case (Visa regs) which are fair. Or anyone could claim.
    You could try complaining to Revoult, but they may not offer a good will refund. Then raise to FOS, but again Revoult have done nothing wrong, so again may not get a refund.

In effect, receipt is only going to show what you were billed (wrong amount) so is not going to help. What you would need is something from driver stating how much the trip was, & then what they charged you.
    Life in the slow lane
  • SuperAllyB
    SuperAllyB Posts: 860 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know criticism is often frowned upon on here, but didn't you check the amount before you either entered your pin or tapped your card?
  • FredTrump
    FredTrump Posts: 383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As others have said, Revolut isn't usually the best.
    What would you have done if you handed the taxi driver £60 of local currency and they drove off?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback