We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice for bringing back/transferring money to the UK after working in Australia

Options
Hi, I would be grateful if anyone can offer advice regarding the below please:
My Niece is shortly going to work in Australia for a year, what is the best when it comes to bringing back her surplus wages or transferring surplus wages on a monthly basis and what is the best way to do this?
Thanks in advance for any help. 

Comments

• Bicycleman22
    Bicycleman22 Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 February at 5:36PM
    Options
    I have used Wise and they were good for me but this was from Spain. Not sure if they are the best for Oz but probably wont be far off.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How will her wages be paid..?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • KBandWFB29
    KBandWFB29 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    eDicky said:
    I will check & post once I get the information from her, thanks
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would also recommend WISE.  It is very easy to transfer between currency accounts and she could hold a GBP£ and AUD$ account with them.

The AUD$ has weakened against the GBP£ recently.  Wise have it trading around 1.92 $ to £.  I moved some funds to AUD$ a week or so back at 1.95 $.    A year is a long time off but at the moment it would not be that beneficial to transfer AUD$ into GBP£.  At least holding AUD$ in Wise she could move them back to GBP£ at a time of her choosing and perhaps when the rate was more favourable.
  • KBandWFB29
    KBandWFB29 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 February at 7:54PM
    Options
    eDicky said:
    Fortnightly & into her Monzo account, so I assume the Aus dollars will be automatically converted to GBP ?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    eDicky said:
    Fortnightly & into her Monzo account, so I assume the Aus dollars will be automatically converted to GBP ?
    Monzo would convert the incoming AUD to GBP at the perfect interbank rate with a 1% fee. But is her employer willing to pay her salary as an international transfer in AUD to her UK Monzo account? If so, the question you've asked is already resolved. If not, a Wise account as suggested would provide an Australian account number and BSB code in her name to receive the salary as a domestic payment. Their conversion fee AUD to GBP is 0.47% using interbank rate, no fee to transfer GBP onward to Monzo etc.

Evolution, not revolution
  • KBandWFB29
    Options
    Many thanks for the excellent help & advice
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business