Google's New Crackdown - Good News For Martin!

Options
TryingToWork
TryingToWork Posts: 71 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 22 February at 3:19PM in Praise, vent & warnings
I was pleased to see Google's new rule regarding ad misrepresentation and people falsely claiming to be famous people.

https://www.wordtracker.com/blog/ppc/google-cracks-down-on-misrepresentation-in-ads

I was always seeing fake ads of Richard Branson endorsing bitcoin and Martin Lewis recommending you part with your money to make the scammers rich. 

Even Tom Allen said on Michael McIntyre the other week that his (bald) image has been used without consent to sell a hair product!

Hopefully there will be a lot less of this activity from now on.

Let's hope Facebook and other advertising programs follow suit. 

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As we have seen hundreds of times before with these platforms words do not necessarily turn into meaningful actions.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just like Facebook promised Martin they would crack down on his image being used on there promoting scams.

I still see these on Facebook and Instagram (which meta also own) do they are obviously trying hard 
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    Options
    I keep seeing ads on Youtube for branded websites like Marks and Spencer with goods marked down from £100 to £2, clearly deceptive if not an outright scam, if they can't stop that kind of ad content what hope do they have of stopping something a bit misleading? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback