in credit with credit cards

Options
notmartin
notmartin Posts: 16 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 22 February at 11:45AM in Credit cards
hi,
if I'm in credit with a credit card company what happens when I close my account? I inadvertently paid £1000 instead of £100 a while back. I've also since closed the current account I paid it from (thank you £200 account switch :)) - can I request the credit card company send me a cheque to close it or will they need to send the money to where it originated from? Or can I specify an account?
thanks!

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    notmartin said:
    hi,
    if I'm in credit with a credit card company what happens when I close my account? I inadvertently paid £1000 instead of £100 a while back. I've also since closed the current account I paid it from (thank you £200 account switch :)) - can I request the credit card company send me a cheque to close it or will they need to send the money to where it originated from? Or can I specify an account?
    thanks!
    They will probably send you a cheque if you close the account, they might close your account as overpaying and carrying a positive balances is a breach of all credit card terms and conditions. Would it not be easier just to spend the amount before closing the card though?
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It’s possible that they’ll insist on paying you back the money before you can close the account - that’s been my own experience, with Santander and M&S bank.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You'll probably come under suspicion of money laundering.  Easiest solution is change the DD on the credit card before you close the account.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • notmartin
    Options
    It’s possible that they’ll insist on paying you back the money before you can close the account - that’s been my own experience, with Santander and M&S bank.

thanks. and how did they make this payment?
  • notmartin
    Options
    You'll probably come under suspicion of money laundering.  Easiest solution is change the DD on the credit card before you close the account.

That makes sense :)
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    notmartin said:

thanks. and how did they make this payment?
    A bank transfer into my bank account
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,833 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I accidentally put a credit card into credit when I was clearing a 0% balance transfer that was due to end. I couldn't spend the excess as I didn't have the card any more (and I wanted to close it once it was clear).

I sent them a message and they refunded the excess back to my bank account. They had my bank details on file as I had a direct debit set up.

And I haven't been arrested for money laundering yet!
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,530 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If the credit card is still open just use it for daily spends until the credit is gone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback