Disgraceful response from Facebook regarding deep fake advert involving Martin

Options

I really do hope that one of your team reads this and shows it to Martin.....and that you take it up with Meta/ Facebook and demand some answers.

A few days ago I saw an advert on Facebook which was obviously a deep fake one showing Martin speaking and also introducing Elon Musk.. It was obvious (to me) that it was a fake and so I did what any right minded person would do and reported it to Facebook.

Their response was unbelievable !

They responded by saying that it didn't go against their advertising standards and so they wouldn't remove it. However, I could choose not to see the advert again.....wasn't that nice of them !!!   

Unhappy with this response I insisted on escalating it for a further review which they agreed to do. Guess what ? After a further review that responded by saying that they would not remove it. 

I don't have the power to escalate further but I'm sure Martin and your team do.

I'm attaching screen shots of their response and a screen shot of the actual advert.

Please try to do something about this to protect people getting conned because Meta / Facebook are happy to show them and by their response, have no intention of stopping them. Perhaps a hefty fine of several £million might adjust their thought process. 

A lot of people are as yet unaware of these deep fake adverts and it is the response from Facebook in the face of such evidence, which makes me incandescent with rage

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Sounds like Martin will be getting some more compensation
  • HumberFlyer
    HumberFlyer Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I still see the same and similar, sometimes now added into / end of a genuine video post. I don't report because last time I did I got a response similar to what you have but also they threatened to kick me off facebook for reporting. 
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    fearbeag said:

I really do hope that one of your team reads this and shows it to Martin.....and that you take it up with Meta/ Facebook and demand some answers.

I think if the likes of Martin Lewis, Elon Musk, Bill Gate, Oprah Winfrey, Rishi Sunak, etc spent their time taking up every advert with media platforms, they'd have very little time to do anything else.

While the social media giants (rightfully) should be held accountable for ensuring the prevention, I think it would be sensible for the public to adapt to the presence of soon undetectable deepfakes.
    Know what you don't
  • MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,184 Community Admin
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    Options
    Hi @fearbag I've shared this with colleagues here who work hard to get as many of these ads dealt with as possible.

For reference, our guide to all things Martin 'ad' related is here:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/fake-martin-lewis-ads/ 
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • fearbeag
    fearbeag Posts: 32 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE_James said:
    Hi @fearbag I've shared this with colleagues here who work hard to get as many of these ads dealt with as possible.

For reference, our guide to all things Martin 'ad' related is here:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/fake-martin-lewis-ads/ 
    Thanks James. Even though I'm 74, I'm pretty savvy about these adverts.. I suppose the rationale for my post was not so much the fake advert itself but the response from Facebook. Having reported it and even escalating it to have it reviewed further, they still wouldn't remove it. If I as a member of the public can see that it is fake, surely somebody working for the Facebook platform can also see it is fake. By refusing to remove it in spite of the evidence surely this makes Facebook culpable for any criminal acts as a result.of people being scammed. I'm minded to conclude that either the person who reviewed my feedback was incompetent or, as I suspect , the reply refusing to remove it was  created by artificial intelligence and not a real person. Either way they need to be challenged further. Kind Regards   
  • fearbeag
    fearbeag Posts: 32 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Exodi said:
    fearbeag said:

I think if the likes of Martin Lewis, Elon Musk, Bill Gate, Oprah Winfrey, Rishi Sunak, etc spent their time taking up every advert with media platforms, they'd have very little time to do anything else.

While the social media giants (rightfully) should be held accountable for ensuring the prevention, I think it would be sensible for the public to adapt to the presence of soon undetectable deepfakes.
     Hi Exodi,I think perhaps you're missing the point or perhaps I didn't articulate it properly. I was endeavoring to highlight the fact that in spite of overwhelming evidence that this was a deepfake advert, Facebook refused to remove it and as such makes them culpable for any subsequent criminal scams. I'm not quite sure what your comment about the public needing to adapt to undetectable deepfakes actually meant.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback