Tips for how much credit limit to ask for in new credit card application?

Options
The bank always decides how much credit they will grant you so why do some ask how much you would like? Why not just tell you what they are happy to offer. Some do.

If you go low because you are afraid of asking for too much you get stuck. If you go high will that put the mokkers on the application because their algorithm already decided on a lower amount? But they won’t tell you that until it’s too late. 

Then after a failed application you might not be able to apply for another six months.

I’m looking for either one or two 0% balance transfer cards later in the year. One would be more convenient but I’m afraid to ask for too much so may decide to open two and ask for lesser credit limits.

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't remember ever being asked what limit I wanted. IIRC, they always offered the highest limit possible and I could ask to have it reduced if I wanted.
  • MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just put what you want - if it's too much, they'll just offer less.
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Options
    why do some ask how much you would like? Why not just tell you what they are happy to offer. Some do.
    Can you name a bank that lets you ask how much you want?  In all the credit applications I've made over the years, there's never been a space on the application form for you to ask how much you'd like.  I'd be genuinely interested to hear which ones let you ask.

• MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    Options
    First Direct were asking when I applied about 3-4 years ago.

I put £20k down and got it.
  • littlemissbossy
    Options
    why do some ask how much you would like? Why not just tell you what they are happy to offer. Some do.
    Can you name a bank that lets you ask how much you want?  In all the credit applications I've made over the years, there's never been a space on the application form for you to ask how much you'd like.  I'd be genuinely interested to hear which ones let you ask.

Tesco bank asked me last week. 
    Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it.
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Options
    First Direct were asking when I applied about 3-4 years ago.

Tesco bank asked me last week. 
    Well I never, you live and learn !

• Yorkshire_Pud
    Yorkshire_Pud Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Lloyds Bank. Gave me what I asked for.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's a minority that ask it. 

I would suspect, in this day and age of responsible lending, that they will cap what they offer you to what you ask for. So if you ask for £5k and they'd have given you £7k they actually give you the asked for £5k. 

There would be a real risk of overthinking this though and speculating that if you asked for £50,000 would that in some way influence the outcome? May they think you are desperate so decline? May they think offering you £7k is pointless in that case so decline? The one thing they won't do is try and stretch to reach it. Think there is less risk in terms of putting a low value in that they'd decline you the £5k or £7k because you've put yourself down... that'd be too much speculation from them too 
  • Superhoopza
    Superhoopza Posts: 469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Plenty ask what you would like, not sure how much impact it has though.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 February at 9:43PM
    Options
    I recall being asked for the minimum amount of credit that would be useful to me - presumably so that if they could not offer that amount, they could decline and save themselves the expense setting up an account, producing and sending out a card that would never be used. 

I would work out the minimum that it would be worthwhile transferring taking into account any fixed element of the fee, ask for that and see what happens. If you then don't need a second card, great (and it may be harder to get a second card with a hard search already on file.) 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback