We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

holiday prices increasing as flights fill

Options
has anyone encountered this before? - Was looking at a holiday with virgin atlantic to barbados - special treat - 11 days ago price was £5200 for 2 people - went to book on monday and price had jumped by £1200 to £6400. Called them and was advised that as people book and the flights fill up the price increases - never heard of this one before - school holidays etc but this was end may and to jump £1200 in literally 11 days seems bit excessive?

Comments

• bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 February at 6:52AM
    Options
    Flight pricing is dynamic and controlled by revenue management systems. A number of factors control the prices seats are sold for, an airline doesn't sell every seat on a flight at the same price.

Availability, dates, special events, supply, demand, fare sales and many more factors can contribute. If your dates aren't fixed you could try the comparison sites to see if moving dates slightly sill help.  Some suggest clearing cookies/browser history or using Private browsing modes can help. 
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,320 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    There are only ever a certain number of seats in each price bucket
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £575
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • mortgageFTB
    mortgageFTB Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 February at 8:29AM
    Options
    Yes. Very standard.

I’d clear any browser cookies as well or try incognito browsing and see if you get different prices as a result too. Sometimes you’ll get inflated prices based upon your previous activity (many many sites do this). 

However, as mentioned, revenue management systems are dynamic.

All the seats in X class are not the same price and do fluctuate.
  • jimi_man
    jimi_man Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 21 February at 8:47AM
    Options
    Airlines sell seats in ‘fare buckets’ and in very general terms, once the fares in one bucket have been sold then they sell them in the next one, which is more expensive. Etc etc. As an example BA has around 22 different fare buckets, plus a few extra for Avios Redemptions. 

They can go the other way. If they aren’t selling in the more expensive fare bucket then they can release more fares in the cheaper bucket. As said above it’s a dynamic selling environment.

It also depends when you book. You might think that booking 11 months out (for example) would be the cheapest but this isn’t necessarily the case. Airlines recognise that people who book that far out are dependent on a particular day/flight and so can charge accordingly. Similarly last minute bookings are more expensive as these are often taken by people who need to travel - business people for example and so the price can be hiked. The sweet spot is often around six months out. 

It should also be noted, that with BA for example, doing a number of enquiries on the same site from the same internet address/browser will not raise the price - it’s a myth. I’d imagine Virgin is the same. It might be the case with OTAs or comparison sites but I don’t use them a lot. Doesn’t have any effect on Google Flights or ITA Matrix which I do use. 
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Absolutely normal.  When I checked flight prices prior to booking it was about £700 for 2 of us to Greece.  When I booked about a month later (June 23) the price was £800.  When I checked, purely for interest in September, the same flight was £1300.
  • Leavemealone
    Options
    Its a nightmare. Being disabled with special needs I always try and book asap so as to have the best chance of my preferred seating. 
    It has taken me a week to make my latest reservations and because of special needs I cannot prebook seats which are only allocated 24 hours before departure so always a worry.

This time I just could not complete my booking online as either their website was faulty or all of my devices so as a result I had to phone. That meant I was unable to use my Club points as apparently this can only be done online and for some reason although my dates were available and still are online I could only book over the phone if I changed each date by one day. 
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,490 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Always browse holiday prices in a private window, once they have cookies on your device and know you are looking at the same deal the price goes up!
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,241 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its a nightmare. Being disabled with special needs I always try and book asap so as to have the best chance of my preferred seating. 
    It has taken me a week to make my latest reservations and because of special needs I cannot prebook seats which are only allocated 24 hours before departure so always a worry.

This time I just could not complete my booking online as either their website was faulty or all of my devices so as a result I had to phone. That meant I was unable to use my Club points as apparently this can only be done online and for some reason although my dates were available and still are online I could only book over the phone if I changed each date by one day. 
    On the phone, if you mention your disability, can the airline not make arrangements for you to reserve seats before the official window opens?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure