Support with home improvements

Options
My mum is a pensioner and extremely budget conscious. She has gone most of the winter barely putting the heating on to save money and yet still needs to dip into her modest savings every month to make ends meet. She has recently discovered that her roof needs to be replaced and is very stressed as the quotes she is getting means that her savings will be completely depleted following these works. I’m worried how she will continue to support herself with zero savings. I wondered if any of you knowledgable people might be able to advise on any support available to her please? I’ve had a Google but am not getting very far, she is just above the threshold for pension credit and I can’t see anything on her local council website which would help. It’s heartbreaking seeing how many sleepless nights she’s been having about her roof!

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 February at 11:37PM
    Options
    Pension credit is based on income rather than savings.  £10,000 or less in savings and investments won’t affect  Pension Credit.

If she  has  more than £10,000, every £500 over £10,000 counts as £1 income a week.

So what income does she have coming in? 

If paying for her roof brings her savings down and her income is within the pension credit limit she would then be entitled to make a claim. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Lady_H_2
    Options
    I don’t know much about pensions but she mentioned being just above the threshold so I think that must make her income around £900pm.
    thank you very much for your reply @elsien
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It seems worth her seriously considering if she wants to stay in that property - that needs work and costs to heat.  What would her options be if she was open to moving?
    If she is definitely staying in this home it would also be worth looking at what equity release could do for her, and perhaps consulting a knowledgable broker - allowing her to live in her house and spend some of its value.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How did she find out the roof needs doing? Was it a reputable person with no axe to grind / gain to be made?

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    honestly sounds like she would be better downsizing to somewhere easier to heat and maintain
  • MarzipanCrumble
    Options
    Might be worth you having a look at Age UK
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/

I agree with #Clowance - it might be worth you checking Which? Trusted Traders for her area - you don't need to be a Which Member to do this.  Age UK also has advice.  Get 3 quotes.
    https://trustedtraders.which.co.uk/
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/care/housing-options/adapting-home/finding-tradesperson/

Downsizing has its costs though probably not as much as a new roof!

I know it can be difficult but could you start a serious conversation with your Mum saying you are seriously concerned about her and how can you help - for instance both of you accessing Age UK?  Or phoning them with her there?

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,645 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 21 February at 10:22AM
    Options
    First off you need to establish if her house actually needs re-roofing, I would be vary suspicious that this was actually the case unless there was water ingress or there was visible signs of a collapse. 

I agree with others, your mother appears to be asset rich but cash poor which is not a good position to be in your laser years. There are a couple of people in our street in that position, they are sitting on an asset worth a small fortune but getting no benefit from it and living in poverty.

She would be better of downsizing to something smaller and more energy efficient or selling and moving to sheltered housing or assisted living.

If she is not up for that and she really does need roof repairs then equity release is an option.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 February at 10:30AM
    Options
    Does she have any care and support needs and might she qualify for attendance allowance? This is not means tested and she doesn't need to be having paid carers coming in to be eligible. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Clowance said:
    How did she find out the roof needs doing? Was it a reputable person with no axe to grind / gain to be made?

As above, has she had a second ( or third) opinion ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback