Credit cards - there is hope

Options
I've been in debt for years at >20%, always paying slightly over the minimum & throwing whatever I could at it here & there. I've not been able to get 0% BTs for years. 
Then a couple of weeks back one of my cards offered me a  0% balance transfer so I figured something must've changed. 
I went onto MSE eligibility checker & move all my debt on 0% cards ... what a relief. 
Now I'm going to keep paying as much as I can off (over the minimum) to pay them back as quickly as I can without breaking myself! It's doable. 
I just wanted to share this with you because it might be useful for someone somewhere. 
One tool that really helped me is the Barclaycard Repayment Calculator. It showed me that by paying even a little more than the minimum it would greatly reduce the payment time & amount. I hope you can use it to help you too. 
https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/customer/repayment-calculator
D x 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,046 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done for finding a way that's working for you.  So many people don't. 

Some who like to publicly keep track do so on the debt free board - lots of encouragement available there when your resolve might get a bit wobbly! 
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Dannii75
    Dannii75 Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brie said:
    Well done for finding a way that's working for you.  So many people don't. 

Some who like to publicly keep track do so on the debt free board - lots of encouragement available there when your resolve might get a bit wobbly! 
    Thank you! I've set up DDs to make sure I've got the same amount going out each month. Because I've been paying off as much as I could I've been really tight with money, I can actually see the sun on the horizon now! :)
  • martinbainbridge1975
    Options
    it was Barclaycard that helped me save a fortune a few years ago, always worth checking regularly to see what is out there 

looking at current deals the market does not appear as tight as I found before christmas when looking for a card
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback