Box.co.uk in administration

Options
martyp
martyp Posts: 1,047 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Shame to discover this today, I only bought from there a couple of months back, item arrived quick and most of their reviews are positive. I guess their competitive prices were difficult to keep them in business.
Thought I'd share in case anyone had bought anything from there recently or used them.

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    That's one I didn't see coming. I'd used them for a few bits when I built my last tower about a year ago. They did have reasonable prices - there was a thread here recently on poor service on a faulty monitor - but hadn't seen an overall rise in complaints. Wonder if they'll be 'bought out' or left to fade away.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • maya85
    maya85 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    WOW that's pretty big news. I actually have a motherboard I need to RMA lol. I guess I won't be able to now. 
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    After the lockdown they closed their store and went online only. Seems that was not enough to save them
    even though the stuff they sold was in huge demand during the lockdown.

Only mentioned them in another thread the other day as a suitable place to buy parts and a place I used
    fairly recently.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Please note that Michael Lennon and Mark Blackman of Kroll Advisory Ltd were appointed Joint Administrators of Box Ltd on 19 January 2024. The business has ceased to trade and all enquiries should be directed to box@kroll.com.

If you have made a deposit for or paid for goods or services by credit or debit card that have not yet been received, you may be able to get your money back by claiming a refund from your card issuer. Please contact your card issuer as soon as you can if this may apply to you.

The Joint Administrators act as agents of the Company and without personal liability and both are licensed by the Insolvency Practitioners Association.

• Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    Looks like the Due Diligence process when they were acquired a couple of years ago failed…

https://www.kitguru.net/components/mustafa-mahmoud/pc-retailer-box-enters-administration/

Looks like there were some pretty significant issues over the existence and valuation of stock. The auditors qualified their opinion in the most recent accounts as well for the same reason.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • tghe-retford
    tghe-retford Posts: 982 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    That's unfortunate as they were the only retailer that came to mind who offered long term PayPal Credit 0% interest payment options over four years as opposed to the usual four month/Pay in 3 options you normally get.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Problem for me was when they closed their shop it was just another online retailer.  Before that it was worth travelling down to
    have a browse and buy my stuff.  They had some mad kit on display and you could see cases and other items on display
    if you were unsure which parts would fit.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• g4r37h
    g4r37h Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    I went to their website last night for a browse, only to see the administration notice.

I'd noticed they would often put stuff on sale a day or two after Amazon, and although it was stuff I would have bought from them the fact is I already bought it - from Amazon a day or two earlier...

They sent out an email a few months back asking for feedback on how they could improve. I responded and said they needed to be more proactive with their sales and not just aim to match Amazon sales but with a 48 hour delay. I also said they needed to start selling vouchers as I could then buy them with my "trivial benefits" as a company director. I received no reply and I guess looking back, I'm glad they didn't start selling vouchers as they would now be worthless.

A shame.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure