Lifetime Pet Cover (Insurer)

Options
thriftytracey
thriftytracey Posts: 634 Forumite
First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 17 February at 2:37PM in Pets & pet care
We have had used this insurer for one of our dogs for a number of years.  They didn't "auto-renew" so we were effectively uninsured for a long period.  I know I should have checked my bank statement but their email said - no need to worry you have selected to auto renew you don't need to do anything etc.  I had seen the renewal premium and it wasn't too much more so happy to continue insuring with them as usual.  In order to have continuous insurance I had to back pay.  They said if I had had a claim in that period they would probably have paid out.  Who knows?  Anyway, luckily it didn't happen.

The following conditions for this policy

·        Policy Excess for each new claim is now £110. The excess is now applied per condition per policy year.

·        If your pet is aged 4 years or over at the time of claiming, there will be a 15% co-insurance to pay which is increased to 25% when aged 7 years and 30% from age 12. This is a contribution to the balance of the claim once you have paid your excess.

·        New claims limits will be applied for both MRI/CT scans and cruciate ligament treatment. If you have a £2,000 or £3,000 policy, your limit is £1,000. If you have a £4,000 or £6,000 policy, your limit is £1,500. If you have a £10,000 policy, your limit is £2,000.

·        New claims limits will be applied for dental illness treatment. If you have a £2,000, £3,000, or £4,000 policy, your limit is £200. If you have a £6,000 policy, your limit is £500. If you have a £10,000 policy, your limit is £1,000.

·        If you have a £2,000 or £3,000 policy, a new claims limit of £500 will be applied for complementary therapy. The limit for £4,000, £6,000, and £10,000 policies will remain unchanged at £1,000.

Any claims made for MRI/CT scans, cruciate ligament treatment, dental illness treatment, and complementary therapy will be deducted from your overall cover limit and will be reinstated each year your policy renews.

Most minor visits to the vet come out at under £110.  It is the conditions for MRI/CT scans that shocked me, together with dental treatment (fairly common as the dog ages).  

I have never claimed for my dog (now aged 8 years).  I may shop around on the next renewal.  I do wonder how a new insurer would react if I had to make a claim as she has never had an illness or disease; she is really healthy.  Could they say well, this disease or illness could have been present under the old insurer?  I am rather cynical.

It just goes to show - it's not just the premium you have to shop around but all these conditions.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It’s fairly usual for dogs over a certain age you have to pay a percentage of the bill as well as the excess. With pet plan it’s 20% for dogs over 8.
    The dental treatment close is unusual, I think.
    again, would be covered by pet plan, although their premiums will be more expensive to start with. 
    I don’t think it would be an issue a new insurer trying to say that the illness was already present because if you put a claim in they will ask your vet for the history anyway. Which will show anything pre-existing or not. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 February at 5:09PM
    Options
    I am with Animal Friends for our dogs insurance. Its the same 20% over the age of 8. I jus had to claim for the first time ever and I'm quite impressed with them.  Had the Xrays etc done on Thursday, claim filed yesterday and payment today! 

Elsien is correct, when you make a claim they have the history from the vets so can verify existing conditions are there or not.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback