Comments

• ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    byjimini said:
    user1977 said:
    byjimini said:

Miele don't supply spare parts so our only option for repair is their £179 (plus £110 per hour)/£279 service - which is 40% of the purchase price (£700) just to get it going again.

Says who? Has anyone even identified what the problem is?
    Miele won't send an engineer unless we pay the fee. John Lewis say they're not paying any fee for repair or report, it's not their responsibility as the warranty has expired.

We contacted a local repair company who says they refuse to touch Miele machines as they don't supply the parts to 3rd parties.
    Almost right.  As it's out of warranty, Miele are entitled to charge.  John Lewis are entitled to ask you to pick up the fee in the first instance, but they're not technically correct to say it's not their responsibility as the warranty has expired.  They still have consumer rights obligations to you if the fault isn't something caused by you, it's very much their responsibility (John Lewis, that is).
    Yes, I'm wondering if there's some confusion... 

After 6 months the buyer is responsible for proving the fault is inherent (to do with how it was made or the materials used) rather than caused by misuse or the environment it's used it. That means paying for the seller/manufacturer to send someone out OR finding a third party (I'd suggest trying more repair places as I know there's a few around who will provide an inspection report if not actually repair).

If that person finds the fault was inherent, then you can generally claim back both the cost of the report and the cost of the repair - but it's for you to stump up the cash in the first instance. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    byjimini said:
    user1977 said:
    byjimini said:

Miele don't supply spare parts so our only option for repair is their £179 (plus £110 per hour)/£279 service - which is 40% of the purchase price (£700) just to get it going again.

Miele won't send an engineer unless we pay the fee. John Lewis say they're not paying any fee for repair or report, it's not their responsibility as the warranty has expired.

We contacted a local repair company who says they refuse to touch Miele machines as they don't supply the parts to 3rd parties.
    The third party repair company are not very good at their job by not undertanding how to buy parts for Mieles
    Miele do supply spare parts to any one who wants them under the EU right to repair rule
    I recently changed my pressure switch part 300 that had clogged up after many years 
    https://www4.miele.de/msd/MSD#/device/41947/etd/1865714886002/

• Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,815 Forumite
    Options
    byjimini said:
    user1977 said:
    byjimini said:

The third party repair company are not very good at their job by not undertanding how to buy parts for Mieles
    Miele do supply spare parts to any one who wants them under the EU right to repair rule
    I recently changed my pressure switch part 300 that had clogged up after many years 
    https://www4.miele.de/msd/MSD#/device/41947/etd/1865714886002/

The relevant page is water run plinth 100
  • pdel61
    pdel61 Posts: 947 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our Miele has broken down a couple of times in the 15 or so years we've had it. Never had a problem using a local repair man to investigate, get the parts and fix.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Find an alternative independent engineer...mine would charge £60 callout and diagnostic. But I'm guessing it's going to be either the power supply or the PCB.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Robbo66
    Robbo66 Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    byjimini said:
    Hi all.

Bought a Miele dishwasher from John Lewis online in January 2021. Warranty is 2 years; 3 years and 2 weeks after purchase, it just stops working - no fault codes or noises, just dead.

Have since spent a few hours on the phone to JL escalating a complaint and constantly being told Consumer Right act doesn't apply, that it's out of warranty and not their problem, that the £279 repair fee is reasonable, that I must talk to Miele and not them, that Legal and General offer repair plans that I could have taken out, etc.

I went all the way up the top of the customer complaints team, who said he had passed my complaints to a senior partner, and that their position is final.

I pointed out that the JL website is full of claims of longevity for Miele, "tested working for 20 years", premium brand etc, but said these are just adverts or written by Miele and not anything that they stand by.

Haven't been able to get through to Citizen's Advice on the phone and will try again next week.

Do I actually have a point here (in that this expensive premium dishwasher claimed to have long life should be lasting longer than 3 years) or have I turned into a miserable old fart?
    recently had the same issue, machine just died, it turned out to be the fuse in the socket.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    pdel61 said:
    Our Miele has broken down a couple of times in the 15 or so years we've had it. Never had a problem using a local repair man to investigate, get the parts and fix.
    Our Miele washer dryer had its 20th birthday recently.  Never had a breakdown.  The dishwasher is 15 years old, never had a breakdown.  I first heard of Miele many years ago when visiting friends in Holland.  They are very popular on the continent.  Their washing machine was 40 years old. 

It’s not a fiction or marketing ploy when Miele claim their appliances last a very long time, they vary rarely don’t.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback