Argos recycle policy

Options

Has anyone had experience of Argos recycle policy?

I had a problem in an Argos store today when i bought a new electric kettle and wanted to return my old one for recycling.  I thought I had read and understood their recycle policy, but was told I had misunderstood and refused to accept the old kettle for recycling.

This is an extract from their recycle policy:

If you have an old electronic item, we can safely recycle these items in-store, for free, with the following guidelines:

• Our store must sell a similar item to the one you're recycling
  • You have purchased a replacement item from us within the last 28 days
  • You can provide proof of purchase
  • Only one item can be exchanged when purchasing a new one
  • Electrical equipment that has a crossed-out wheelie bin symbol can be recycled*

*If your old product doesn't have this symbol, we'll still accept it as part of an equivalent purchase and recycle it to the best of our ability.

They told me that I could only return for recycling an item originally bought from them and provide a receipt showing proof of purchase for the old kettle.   I had read point 3 about proof of purchase but thought proof was referring to the new kettle being bought and covered the case if I had returned to store with the old kettle after buying the new kettle.   The old kettle was 8 years old and I have no receipt for it, or even remember where bought.  Surely this can't be expected.

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,679 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Be_Happy said:

Has anyone had experience of Argos recycle policy?

I had a problem in an Argos store today when i bought a new electric kettle and wanted to return my old one for recycling.  I thought I had read and understood their recycle policy, but was told I had misunderstood and refused to accept the old kettle for recycling.

This is an extract from their recycle policy:

If you have an old electronic item, we can safely recycle these items in-store, for free, with the following guidelines:

• Our store must sell a similar item to the one you're recycling
    • You have purchased a replacement item from us within the last 28 days
    • You can provide proof of purchase
    • Only one item can be exchanged when purchasing a new one
    • Electrical equipment that has a crossed-out wheelie bin symbol can be recycled*

*If your old product doesn't have this symbol, we'll still accept it as part of an equivalent purchase and recycle it to the best of our ability.

They told me that I could only return for recycling an item originally bought from them and provide a receipt showing proof of purchase for the old kettle.   I had read point 3 about proof of purchase but thought proof was referring to the new kettle being bought and covered the case if I had returned to store with the old kettle after buying the new kettle.   The old kettle was 8 years old and I have no receipt for it, or even remember where bought.  Surely this can't be expected.

Their policy does appear to require a proof of purchase, whether that is for the old item, or the newly purchased item appears somewhat ambiguous. Personally though it is not a battle I could be bothered to get involved with and would just use the local council recycling facility. 
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm not familiar with this policy, but on the face of it, it sounds like it could be making a mountain out of a molehill.  If Argos won't accept the old one for recycling, does your local council tip not have a container for small electrical appliances?  Many of them do, and I assume (perhaps naively !) that the stuff gets recycled as much as possible, since it's separate to the "general waste" that goes to landfill.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    Agreed - the two separate issues are if the Argos store is complying with regulatory requirements/national policy (which may be addressed by a quick message to their customer service team to confirm) vs if it's something that's actually worth a customer arguing about (which would be up to the OP). 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, I will dispose of the old kettle elsewhere.   I was annoyed at the attitude of the Argos staff - 4 of them had to gather together to discuss this.  I was told ' how could I possibly expect them to dispose of other shops recycling' and offers to print out the policy, which I already had as shown above.  I said that I understood that there was Government Legislation on electrical recycling but staff said it only applied to previous purchases from the store.   Also insisted that the wording 'take back' obviously referred to electrical items which had come originally from the same store.

Some of the points raised above - Our nearest council recycling point for electrical items is 5 miles outside of town, not on a bus route, so difficult to reach without transport.   Secondly it is impossible to contact Argos customer services by email.   The telephone contact number starts with the recorded message to key in the order number you wish to discuss and no further steps are given to follow if you are not phoning about an order number.  The only contact seems to be through Facebook or Twitter (X) and not everyone uses these or wants to join them.

However I'll make the trip to B&Q out at the retail park where they have a 'recycling of small electrical bin'.  I only hope that the kettle can fit through the hole in the bin top.    I just felt like letting off steam after the attitude of the staff.   I'll be keeping the receipt for the new kettle as long as the kettle works in case I have to take it back for recycling!

• ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    @Be_Happy I'd also suggest reporting them using the link provided up thread... might not do anything ( they probably rely on number of reports to prioritise any investigation and most won't bother), but might make you feel a little better :) 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Be_Happy said:
    I'll be keeping the receipt for the new kettle as long as the kettle works in case I have to take it back for recycling!

It might be too late as I assume the new kettle is past the point it can be returned to Argos but, apparently, Curry's are keen for old electrical stuff:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6506555/curry-s-trade-in-allowance#latest
  • Be_Happy
    Be_Happy Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for all the information.  I did read later that Currys are happy to recycle old electrical items from any store when buying.    As it was, I took the kettle along to B&Q next day where they have a recycle bin for small electrical.  Luckily the kettle did fit in the hole at the top of the bin.  I have also emailed the link above and am awaiting their reply re the regulations.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback