Reclaiming bank charges 2024

Options
Hello Forum

This is my first post so be kind ;)

I'm working on a claim to Natwest to request my bank charges & interest are refunded. I've consulted MSE of course and am using Martin's template (thank you!) but came to the forum to check out other people's experiences as I want to get it all right first time. I can't seem to find any up-to-date forum posts for 2023-24 and wondered if I'm looking in the wrong place - or whether no one does it any more?

Has anyone got any advice?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What sort of account & On what basis are you claiming?
    Life in the slow lane
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
     I've consulted MSE of course and am using Martin's template (thank you!) but came to the forum to check out other people's experiences as I want to get it all right first time.
    Bank charge reclaims ended in 2009 bar a few small areas.

So, is your situation that you think a charge reclaim is possible?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 16 February at 4:33PM
    Options
    Helps if you say what the problem is... are you talking about fees for being in an unauthorised overdraft? Are you talking about the cost for a packaged accounts? Some other random thing that you think you can get out of?

On what basis do you think there is an issue?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 February at 5:08PM
    Options
    Hello Forum

This is my first post so be kind ;)

I'm working on a claim to Natwest to request my bank charges & interest are refunded. I've consulted MSE of course and am using Martin's template (thank you!) but came to the forum to check out other people's experiences as I want to get it all right first time. I can't seem to find any up-to-date forum posts for 2023-24 and wondered if I'm looking in the wrong place - or whether no one does it any more?

Has anyone got any advice?

Thanks in advance
    Just to clarify, on what basis are you looking to request a refund?

Are you in current financial hardship and want some help? If so, the bank financial support team are who you need to speak to, they may refund some charges, freeze future ones etc but they are under no obligation to refund anything

If you are talking about historic and/or unfair charges, I don't know what template you are using but the 2009 Supreme Court decision killed those off, you cannot complain now about old or excess charges

There are very few updates simply because, for once, the courts actually gave a sensible ruling and stopping people trying to argue things they signed up for and agreed should be refunded on the basis they didn't like what they signed up for. You will only get sporadic reports of people putting in complaints about current (or very recent) financial hardship.

If you are talking about packaged accounts, it's a bit different but almost all, if not all, of those are time barred or can be easily pushed back due to things like annual statements which the banks have been sending for years
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback