Delivery driver crashed into my wall

Options
Ang5050
Ang5050 Posts: 22 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 15 February at 11:37AM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
Similar but slightly different from another very recent post. Our dry stone wall was demolished  by a delivery driver who couldnt/wouldnt provide insurance details. Just gave his name and name of company.  Reported accident to police and my insurance for info. No way to contact company other than by email! After 10 days to and fro, eventually got spoken contact and was told it was a sub contractor. They would contact him on my behalf. Message came back through the comany from subcontactor he would send someone to repair. Dry stone walling is a skill and we declined. Nothing for a week so requested details of sub contractor and we would take it from here. so all i have now is a mobile number and a surname. Just feeling rather anxious as how to proceed, would appreciate any help, before I get in touch! Im really not clear on what I have the right to expect from him. Its been a pretty stressful hassle! Thanks

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Do you have the vehicle registration? 

If so you can buy their insurance details from the MID, you need to use the full service not the free "your car" which only says if a vehicle is insured today or not (the full service you specify the date you need to check as of and they provide the insurer, the policy number and contact for claims). 

If you get their insurance details you can easily then say you intend to take the matter to Aviva/ Axa/ Aspen or whoever their insurers are if they don't do X within Y days (try to be reasonable on timescales but no legal requirement to be). 

Have you gotten quotes to quantify your losses?
  • Ang5050
    Options
    Thanks! Thats really helpful and good to know. No quotes yet as we just got sub contractor details yesterday.  Would it be better to do that first before we contact him?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Ang5050 said:
    Thanks! Thats really helpful and good to know. No quotes yet as we just got sub contractor details yesterday.  Would it be better to do that first before we contact him?
    I'd do it in parallel but ultimately you need to have an idea of costs in case he say's he'll give you £300 but only if you accept today/tomorrow etc. If you're blind you may end up with too little to complete the job
  • Ang5050
    Options
    Thanks again, having friendly guidance is so helpful. Insurance checked and feelers out for quotes.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback