Default Notice for Zero

Options
Hi there, 

I found out yesterday that a default notice was issued against me for a 0 balance from my bank. Ive never had a credit facility with them, never been over drawn but theyve entered a default notice against me. I've disputed it with transunion and raised a complaint with the bank. Im just curious as to how they are even able to do this? A zero balance?? How can they give me a default notice for nothing??

Comments

• MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 February at 12:14PM
    Options
    We can't answer that - you'll need to get the details from Zero as to what account has defaulted and why or whether it's an error.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Assuming it's not a mistake, could it be an old debt that you somehow missed that they have sold to a debt buyer hence it's marked as zero?
  • Damo66a
    Damo66a Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sorry you misread my post. the default notice was from starling bank - for a zero amount. ive never owed them anything. how can they enter a default notice for a zero amount when i dont even have an agreement with them

• Damo66a
    Damo66a Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nasqueron said:
    Assuming it's not a mistake, could it be an old debt that you somehow missed that they have sold to a debt buyer hence it's marked as zero?
    im hoping it is a mistake. i dont have any old debt with starling. used them for years with no overdrawn amounts. i dont have any agreements with them to speak of. im just curious as to how theyre allowed to enter a default notice of a 0 amount. 
  • MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Damo66a said:
    how can they enter a default notice for a zero amount when i dont even have an agreement with them

That's the bit you need to clarify with them.

There is obviously some information other than a non-existent account with a zero balance that they hold or an error.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What form does this default notice take?

Letter? what does it say?
    Email, again, what does it say?

A default notice can only be issued if you have failed to keep to the terms of a loan or a credit account of some kind.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Damo66a said:
    Nasqueron said:
    im hoping it is a mistake. i dont have any old debt with starling. used them for years with no overdrawn amounts. i dont have any agreements with them to speak of. im just curious as to how theyre allowed to enter a default notice of a 0 amount. 
    Basically if you had a default for say £100, the bank would report that every month. If they then sold the debt, they'd mark it as closed with £0 debt and the debt buyer then reports the default. 

If there is no other credit history of this debt, it's probably a mistake but check with Experian / Equifax / Trans Union to see
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback