Are comparison site Quotes a Con?

Options
We've been with Animal Friendly for 3 years for our Dog, but they keep hiking up the prices.

Going on the usual comparison sites we can get double the insurance for about half the cost, but when I ask for a quote directly on a site (e.g MoreThan) then the quotes are much more expensive.

So is it the case that either these cheap quotes via comparison sites are not really available as the  insurance company will contact me to ask more questions so they can bump up the price, or the quotes are only introductory offers and they will bump the price up after year one?

Thanks.

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    We've been with Animal Friendly for 3 years for our Dog, but they keep hiking up the prices.

Going on the usual comparison sites we can get double the insurance for about half the cost, but when I ask for a quote directly on a site (e.g MoreThan) then the quotes are much more expensive.

So is it the case that either these cheap quotes via comparison sites are not really available as the  insurance company will contact me to ask more questions so they can bump up the price, or the quotes are only introductory offers and they will bump the price up after year one?
    It's not 100% clear what you have done... aggregators often have different products (generally cut down versions) and different pricing from what an insurer sells on their own website. Hence if you are getting prices on confused.com and then going directly to MoreTh>n's website rather than clicking through then getting different prices would be expected. 

If you are clicking through then there can be further questions/clarifications needed which can change the price. All the aggregators have built their own solution for Motor and Home and this rarely occurs for those products. Outside of these (for insurance) things become weaker... most don't do their own SME solution but instead use a broker (Simply Business in most cases) and instead just expose their full panel rather than just the "best" as a broker normally would. Never looked into Pet too much but can see confused.com is using a third party solution and wouldn't be surprised if others are too. Wouldn't be surprised either if homogeneity of questions hasn't been done to the same level. 
  • maya85
    maya85 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They are not a con per say but they give preferential results to their partners. I have noticed this across various comparison sites. 
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

Thanks.
    Have you made a claim if so if its a recurring  issue new insurance won't cover it
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback