Student loan repayment while abroad

Options
Hi all, my daughter has taken a working holiday down under and advised SLC of her absence.  She finished Uni in 2022.  They have written to her here asking for proof of wages while there and are talking about setting up repayments at the country she's now in.  Is this legit?  What she earns in a foreign country should not have any bearing on her repayments to SLC in the UK, and I would have thought they would just take a payment holiday until she returns.  I extremely taken aback by their reach in this regard if this is above board.  Can anyone advise further?

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No such thing as a payment holiday. Worldwide earnings are considered for SLC repayments.
    My daughter has lived and worked in Spain for the last 9 years but still has to make repayments as her earnings are above the threshold for that country.
    If you don't pay then they set the repayment amount to a default level and will be considered a debt and reported as such 
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 13 February at 5:00PM
    Options
    Hi all, my daughter has taken a working holiday down under and advised SLC of her absence.  She finished Uni in 2022.  They have written to her here asking for proof of wages while there and are talking about setting up repayments at the country she's now in.  Is this legit?  What she earns in a foreign country should not have any bearing on her repayments to SLC in the UK, and I would have thought they would just take a payment holiday until she returns.  I extremely taken aback by their reach in this regard if this is above board.  Can anyone advise further?
     Yes it's above board. Repayments are based on a % of your wages wherever in the world you live and work. 

Her being on a working Holiday is not a reason to not pay. The only people who don't need to pay are those who do not earn enough. 

There is more information on repayments from foreign income on government websites 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback