We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Van parking in Paris?

Options
Morning all,

Currently organising a London to Paris cycle ride for my friends and I for later in the year, for which we'll have a driver in a van supporting us. It's not a huge van, just a standard Ford Transit sized thing, but I'm struggling to find anywhere to park it securely overnight near the Eiffel Tower, where our hotel is.

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice, please?

We'd prefer secured parking as opposed to anything on street, as the van will have about £20k worth of bikes in the back of it!

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Wonka_2
    Wonka_2 Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Treadway1 said:
    Morning all,

Currently organising a London to Paris cycle ride for my friends and I for later in the year, for which we'll have a driver in a van supporting us. It's not a huge van, just a standard Ford Transit sized thing, but I'm struggling to find anywhere to park it securely overnight near the Eiffel Tower, where our hotel is.

We'd prefer secured parking as opposed to anything on street, as the van will have about £20k worth of bikes in the back of it!

Many thanks in advance.
    Honestly this is one of the things where the hotel should be able to help - especially if you're spending big £££ for a number of people to stay there.

Presumably you'll be restricted from a number of 'normal' places by height.

As it's not an unusual thing for cyclists presumably one of the cycling forums can come up with suggestions

Alternatively it's a case of park the (empty) van and sleep with the bikes 
  • Treadway1
    Treadway1 Posts: 826 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wonka_2 said:
    Treadway1 said:
    Morning all,

Many thanks in advance.
    Honestly this is one of the things where the hotel should be able to help - especially if you're spending big £££ for a number of people to stay there.

Presumably you'll be restricted from a number of 'normal' places by height.

As it's not an unusual thing for cyclists presumably one of the cycling forums can come up with suggestions

Alternatively it's a case of park the (empty) van and sleep with the bikes 
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that the hotel does have secure parking but it has a 1.9m height restriction (which I'm discovering seems to be the norm in Paris!) and although we don't know exactly what van we'll have yet, google tells me any van is likely to be just over this height, frustratingly!

Sleeping with the bikes has been considered though.  :D
  • On-the-coast
    On-the-coast Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We did exactly as you’re planning. I was the van driver. Yes we agreed secure parking with hotel, but made sure we hired a van that fitted. 
    Btw it’s uncomfortable driving a RHD van in Paris unless you have a lookout in the passenger seat. You simply can’t see left properly at some junctions. 
  • Bicycleman22
    Options
    Ridiculous to even think about leaving £20000 pounds worth of bikes in a van. I have always found a place for my bike inside whether that is in a secure area or my bedroom. Personally I only book somewhere once I know I can store my bike inside either by just  looking at the photos on booking.com or contacting the hotel directly.

• Treadway1
    Treadway1 Posts: 826 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We did exactly as you’re planning. I was the van driver. Yes we agreed secure parking with hotel, but made sure we hired a van that fitted. 
    Btw it’s uncomfortable driving a RHD van in Paris unless you have a lookout in the passenger seat. You simply can’t see left properly at some junctions. 
    I have emailed the hotel to ask if they can recommend anything suitable nearby but, in typical Parisian style, they're taking their time getting back to me. 

Unfortunately though, there are 11 of us riding, so hiring a smaller van wasn't possible, otherwise that defo would have been the better move!

On a separate note, as you have experience driving a van in Paris, did you need a clean air certificate/sticker in the windscreen to drive the van in to the city. I've been reading up about French driving rules to keep our driver on the right side of the law and that was one of the things that popped up. TIA
  • On-the-coast
    On-the-coast Posts: 435 Forumite
    Options
    We had about 15 cyclists.  But only around half of them put bikes in the van overnight. The rest just used the private courtyard of the hotel. Maybe that’s something you could ask about.  The van was more for breakdowns and luggage than bike storage. 

I don’t recall the clean air stuff.  I was just the driver not the organiser. Sorry. 

We had a great time though! And so much food….
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can you make contact with any cycling organisations in France that might offer advice
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow £20K of bikes. They can have the bed and I will sleep on the floor.
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,161 Forumite
    Options
    Or the driver can sleep in the back of the van to keep an eye on the bikes  :)
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Treadway1 said:
    the van will have about £20k worth of bikes in the back of it!
    Vingt 'grand' in a grande van.... :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport