Someone applied for an account in my name

Options
Just received a letter from mbna saying someone tried to open an account using my details. It says don't worry its been dealt with. Do you think I need to do anything never had this happen before? Hope I have posted in the right section. I've attached the letter it has my name and address but I've erased it

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Make sure you don't put bills and sensitive documents in your recycle bin.
    Do you have anyone in your household that has access to your mail?
  • dannygn123
    dannygn123 Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I never put sensitive information in the bin and I live in a block of flats so you need a fob to access bin area. Only other person in my household is my wife
  • dannygn123
    Options
    I was going to apply for a balance transfer but it says my credit history may have been affected but will be corrected and could take up to 60 says. Should I wait to apply or if my credit file looks OK then I don't need to worry?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was going to apply for a balance transfer but it says my credit history may have been affected but will be corrected and could take up to 60 says. Should I wait to apply or if my credit file looks OK then I don't need to worry?
    I would use the free CRA websites like Clear Score and check if there is a hard search on there, or if urgent, get your statutory report from the CRA requested immediately - a single hard search likely won't do any major damage though the CIFAS might mean a manual review of the application depending on bank
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I never put sensitive information in the bin and I live in a block of flats so you need a fob to access bin area. Only other person in my household is my wife

Where are the post boxes - and how are they accessed? Many years ago when I lived in a flat, fraudsters were fishing things out of communal area letter boxes - could that be happening where you are?

Have you checked the three credit reference agencies in terms of 'hard searches' and 'accounts' to make sure everything is accurate?
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • dannygn123
    Options
    I applied for a balance transfer yesterday, forgetting about the letter I got. Just checked my search history through mse credit club and there are two searches dated 6/11/2023. One mbna and one American express. Is this going to affect my chances of getting approved? It it with virgin money. They do a soft search first which gave me a 90% pre approval rate so would that have taken it in to account?
  • Nasqueron
    edited 21 March at 12:48PM
    Options
    Two soft searches a few months ago is not likely to make any difference - all that will matter is debt, income and previous credit history

Two hard searches (related to fraud) should be removed, are they on the LIVE report, not the one you see on MSE which is often months behind I find?
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I applied for a balance transfer yesterday, forgetting about the letter I got. Just checked my search history through mse credit club and there are two searches dated 6/11/2023. One mbna and one American express. Is this going to affect my chances of getting approved? It it with virgin money. They do a soft search first which gave me a 90% pre approval rate so would that have taken it in to account?

Were they hard searches? When you raised your initial question related to the letter - I asked some further questions, but you didn't come back to update the thread. We have lots of people that can offer helpful advice pointing you in the right direction - but you're only providing half a story, then wandering off, then coming back with half a statement about something more recent happening. 

We still haven't gotten to the bottom of the original issue - so it may very well be that as this hasn't been addressed, any new applications by you could very well be affected yes.

If the two searches you mention were hard searches - then along with the MBNA letter it seems like someone made those applications. Have you taken any preventative measures since the letter?
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • dannygn123
    edited 21 March at 12:07PM
    Options

Were they hard searches? When you raised your initial question related to the letter - I asked some further questions, but you didn't come back to update the thread. We have lots of people that can offer helpful advice pointing you in the right direction - but you're only providing half a story, then wandering off, then coming back with half a statement about something more recent happening. 

We still haven't gotten to the bottom of the original issue - so it may very well be that as this hasn't been addressed, any new applications by you could very well be affected yes.

If the two searches you mention were hard searches - then along with the MBNA letter it seems like someone made those applications. Have you taken any preventative measures since the letter?
    I don't know if they were hard searches to be honest. It's just under searches on the credit report. I only have the information on what was provided on the letter that they have cancelled the account, sent a request to correct my credit file and registered me as a victim of identity theft with cifas. I'm not sure of what other preventative measures to take. Apologies for the delays.

I just checked clearscore and it says there are no hard searches
  • Nasqueron
    Options

I don't know if they were hard searches to be honest. It's just under searches on the credit report. I only have the information on what was provided on the letter that they have cancelled the account, sent a request to correct my credit file and registered me as a victim of identity theft with cifas. I'm not sure of what other preventative measures to take. Apologies for the delays.

I just checked clearscore and it says there are no hard searches
    Do note that not all cards report to all CRAs, check Credit Karma as well to see if they are hard or soft searches and chase the firms why they have not been removed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback