PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

HELP! Buying new build house but 2 planning permissions not able to be discharged yet

Hi, I am deep into the process of buying a new build Persimmon house and my Conveyancer has been informed by the developer's Solicitors that the council will not discharge 2 planning permissions at this stage - permission 9 (relating to concerns about levels and drainage in an area at the opposite end of the development to my plot) and 11 (unsure what this relates to). 
I have basically been told its up to me whether I want to proceed but I am not sure of the risks, whether it is nothing much to worry about, or whether I should just walk away,   Any experience would be appreciated.   

Comments

  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,269
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Presumably you're paying your conveyancers lots of money to give you advice, so...have you tried asking them for advice?

    Are you buying with a mortgage and if so are your conveyancers prepared to sign off to your lender that this is all fine, irrespective of what you think?
  • BSCoulby
    BSCoulby Posts: 21
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    user1977 said:
    Presumably you're paying your conveyancers lots of money to give you advice, so...have you tried asking them for advice?

    Are you buying with a mortgage and if so are your conveyancers prepared to sign off to your lender that this is all fine, irrespective of what you think?
    Hi thanks for your reply.  I am a cash buyer and yes I am paying Conveyancers lots of money for this transaction, however they have informed me it's my decision, but I was hoping for more guidance in reaching that decision.  I now know that Condition 11 relates to surface water.  
    I have asked now what the worst case scenario would be and whether it could be considered from their point of view unwise to proceed at all.  Also asked if there is the possibility of taking out an indemnity to mitigate any potential risk/what those risks are.  Persimmon and the Council are being extremely slow and quite unhelpful with replies to these conditions and requests for letters of comfort prior to discharge of the conditions.  It's hard to know what to do.  

    It'd be helpful if anyone else has encountered this problem, their own actions/experiences and the outcome please.  
    Thanks. 
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 20,773
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Have the conveyancers given you a detailed report on the risks involved? If not, I'd suggesting asking them for one, allowing that you aren't qualified to make an informed decision without it. Giving you the headlines and then saying "it's your decision" isn't giving advice, in fact it's not even giving much confidence that they actually know the answers! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,269
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    BSCoulby said:
    user1977 said:
    Presumably you're paying your conveyancers lots of money to give you advice, so...have you tried asking them for advice?

    Are you buying with a mortgage and if so are your conveyancers prepared to sign off to your lender that this is all fine, irrespective of what you think?
    yes I am paying Conveyancers lots of money for this transaction, however they have informed me it's my decision, but I was hoping for more guidance in reaching that decision.
    But aren't the conveyancers giving you any guidance? That is their job, not just to shrug their shoulders and say it's up to you.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,606
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Find and download the planning permission from your council web site.  That will tell you all the conditions (these are conditions attached to the planning permission you are talking about)

    It is likely the whole development was granted under one planning application, so the conditions might not apply to your particular house.

    BUT read the conditions thoroughly.  Most conditions say when they have to be addressed.  Some will be before development even starts, some will be before occupation of the houses.  If these 2 outstanding conditions say they must be discharged before occupation of any of the houses, then you have a problem (and the developer an even bigger problem)

    This is exactly what your conveyencor should be doing.  Did you employ an independant one to do a thorough job, or the one receommended by the developer who might be doing an absolute minimum job?
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 20,773
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Also - is this a solicitor who does conveyancing, or a “conveyancer”? If the latter that is probably why you’re not getting any proper advice. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,073
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    My Mum was purchasing a new-build when her solicitor flagged several issues that meant that the Council refused to sign off on the development. He advised her to pause proceedings until they were dealt with and also informed the developer the properties already sold were occupied illegally. The developers blustered a bit (claiming it was all in hand and that Mum's solicitor was overreacting!)  but rapidly applied for the planning changes and a lot of pressure was put on the Council to expedite the new permissions. It took about 6 weeks to sort out.

    One of the main issues was with drainage and we were advised that insufficient drainage could have a knock-on effect for the whole development. The other issues did not affect Mum's new property, but there was no Council sign-off until new permissions had been sought and granted.
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards