Debt Settlement offer advice

Options
Hi, I would like some advice on settlement offers. A relative has been using edited 'without prejudice' letters from the National Debt Line to offer final payments on various debts but is getting replies back refusing and offering very small discounts on large sums instead.

Another relative is offering to pay these if they can be reduced as had been indicated they can be in the past. He could not afford it at the time, but one of the debts of £2400 was offered at a special rate out of the blue of £600, less than two years ago but that company will not entertain that offer now even though they are getting less than £8 a month from the management company.

He is already with a debt management scheme for many years, is it better to try to arrange this through them (Money Plus) as they'd have more weight or continue negotiating with the debt owners directly.

Thanks

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,634 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Continue negotiations

And ditch Money Plus
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,955 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Money plus have no weight whatsoever, think of them as akin to PayPal, a 3rd party payment processor that takes 35% of everything they pay them, that`s all they do, take your relatives money, and pass the rest to your creditors.

The advice above to ditch them is good, and don`t ever pay them any lump sums to do a deal with, because yes, you guessed it, they will take 35% of that as well, you might as well just burn it.

What they should do next.....

Step (1) Ditch money plus
    step (2) Stop paying the creditors, send CCA requests to all relevant accounts
    step (3) See what comes back as enforceable (or not).
    step (4) Resume making offers on the enforceable debts, ignore the rest for time being.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    Options
    'relevant accounts' means any debt covered by the Consumer Credit Act, i.e. loans, credit cards, catalogues, not utilities, mobile phones, overdrafts
  • cricket_lord
    Options
    Hi thanks all for the replies - it is a mix I think of credit cards and overdrafts. He's been on this scheme for over 10 years so thought they might welcome to want to wrap it all up but apparently not.

Is it worth trying a settlement offer with all of the debts for before I ask for the CCA info and then resubmit my offer letters? He's tried one so far. Also asking for CCA info - It's not going to cause them to ask for more money per month or anything like that. Thanks
  • sourcrates
    edited 12 February at 7:38PM
    Options
    They really need to take charge of their own affairs here, what they have paid in fee`s to Money plus over 10 years would likely have cleared there debts by now.

Asking for information under sec77/79 CCA is a statutory right we all have.

The creditor must respond or the debt becomes unenforceable, they should not look to what the creditors might do, focus on the goal of ridding themselves of a parasite company like Money plus, and use every means available to obtain a generous settlement.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ditch Money Plus.
    Get the relative to come on here themselves and explain the background and current circumstances.
    Get a list of the creditors and plot into consumer credit (loans, cards, catalogues) and other debt. If in doubt ask here.

Depending on the relatives circumstances, it may be possible to get some debts written off.
    If not, CCA requests for the consumer credit debts.

The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • fatbelly
    edited 12 February at 7:36PM
    Options
    10 years of fees is a lot of money. Not sure it would work but there's no downside to making a complaint and escalating it to FOS.

You could pinch some wording from this article about Gregory Pennington, who continued charging their customers fees even after the government gave them 30 million to provide free ones(and they changed their name to Money Wellness)

https://debtcamel.co.uk/gregory-pennington-fwg-dmp-fees/

Edit: only the debtor has the right to request a copy of the agreement under CCA. It would probably be ok if you have Power of Attorney

• Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 February at 8:10PM
    Options
    They definitely need to ditch Money Plus, they can take nearly half of the debt repayments for themselves which is obscene. Their minimum fee is £46 a month which is £5500 over ten years, simply for setting up a few standing orders!
  • sourcrates
    Options
    The fee`s Moneyplus charge are just obscene, they set out to deliberately profit from their clients misery.

"As the setup and initial period of your Debt Management Plan are the busiest, we charge an Arrangement Fee of £399 to cover this initial cost". 

Debt charity or "do it yourself" - FREE

"Our Monthly Management Fee for new customers will be £46 or 49% of your monthly payment".

Again, Debt charity or "do it yourself" - FREE

49% that`s almost half of your monthly payment gone before your creditors even get a sniff of it !!

This angers me so much, this has cost your relative over 10k in fee`s, its despicable.
  • fatbelly
    edited 12 February at 9:09PM
    Options
    There's an argument that this doesn't relate to the work being done. It would be interesting to get the FOS to reflect on this and, if necessary, a court.

Decision Reference DRN6180183
    22 Dec 2016
    Moneyplus Group Limited
    Upheld
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills