Online will

I'm seeking advice on writing an online will. There will only be cash involved and 3 family members. Can I leave values to them in percentage terms?. Any reputable online providers?   Tia

Comments

• pjs493
    pjs493 Posts: 134
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you want a cheap or free Will service I’d avoid online options and instead use the National Free Wills Network. Lots of charities and solicitors are signed up to the scheme. From the point of view of the charity, they hope you’ll leave a gift to them (although you’re not obliged to) and in return a local solicitor can draw up a Will for you. If it’s a simple Will there will be no cost to you. The solicitor will be able to put in the correct language to ensure that you estate will be distributed in the way you choose. 
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,116
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Yes you can leave individual beneficiaries different percentages of your estate. 
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 798
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Percentages is the way to go for sure.

My late father specified exact sums which almost became problematic as he had spent a lot more cash than he had expected.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 9,888
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ayr_Rage said:

My late father specified exact sums which almost became problematic as he had spent a lot more cash than he had expected.
    Not necessarily. It can be an absolute pain, since sometimes nothing can be distributed until the last moment and the executors have accounted for every last penny...
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,544
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Marcon said:
    Ayr_Rage said:

Not necessarily. It can be an absolute pain, since sometimes nothing can be distributed until the last moment and the executors have accounted for every last penny...
    There's no reason why an executor can't do interim payments using the percentage split if there is plenty of money available to cover any unknown debts on the estate.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback