Cistern overflow

Can anyone advise how I stop this? Flushed the toilet and now the cistern is constantly overflowing into the pan. I’ve isolated for now, but want it working again. 

I’ve taken the top off the cistern and can see the water is overflowing from the white circle in the centre. 
I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

Comments

• Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,298
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Doesn't it have some sort of ball co c k (float valve) to stop the water as required?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,781
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Doesn't it have some sort of ball co c k (float valve) to stop the water as required?
    Only has what is in the picture. I wonder if the blue thing on the left is some sort of float valve that has stopped floating 
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    Ambassador
    This looks similar to what I have on the left:

• CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,199
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    silvercar said:
    I wonder if the blue thing on the left is some sort of float valve that has stopped floating 
    I think you're spot on there - looks very similar to mine.
    The little plastic cross-head screw on top of it is an adjuster - try using that to adjust the height at which it shuts off the water flow.
    It's also worth seeing if you can give the mechanism a bit of a clean - just to make sure the float slides up and down the upright pillar freely.
    If all else fails, there's a possibility that the float has got a puncture.  If that's the case you can usually bodge a fix with a bit of waterproof glue - if you can see the hole or crack or whatever.  But a replacement part is pretty cheap and easy to get hold of either online or at a plumber's merchant, and is not difficult to replace.
    But try a bit of cleaning and adjustment first, it'll cost you nowt to give it a go.

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    Forumite
    edited 12 February at 9:02AM
    Yes, that's the inlet valve, and almost certainly the guilty party.
    Before you touch anything, check the supply pipe under the cistern and see if it has an isolating valve on it - a chrome fitting with a screwdriver slot in the side. If you turn this thro' 90, it should shut the water off to the cistern. You can do that now so to stop wasting water.
    Then track down instructions for that inlet valve and how to dismantle it in situ. Almost certainly it is cleanable/fixable and will solve the problem.
    Could you take some close-up pics of the valve? Any writing on it - make?
    I wonder what these white bits are?

• MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,033
    Forumite
    Are you certain it's not the button sticking down slightly ?
  • silvercar
    Ambassador
    It’s not the button sticking down, because I took the button off completely.

the white bits rub away - possibly perished tape of some kind.

toilet brand is indusa. Can’t find that anywhere.

more pictures:

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    Forumite
    Isolating valve?
  • silvercar
    Ambassador
    Isolating valve?
    Yes, I’ve isolated it.
  • kipsterno1
    kipsterno1 Posts: 324
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There is normally a rubber diaphragm that causes the water to stop when the float rises. These will perish with time or if lucky just need a clean and reseating. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback