Deposit for double glazed UPVC before survey

Hi,
We've received a number of quotes for replacing all UPVC windows (12 windows) in our house with modern double glazed UPVC. The quotes we received are in the region of £6,500 - £10,000 (which seems to be quite a big range!). 

Some of the providers are independent and they have asked for 50% deposit upfront, even before they visit the property and do a survey. Note that the quotes are based on our own measurements. 

Is asking for such a big deposit before the survey reasonable? I understand why they would ask for a deposit once they actually order/manufacture the windows, but asking for so much money before the survey makes me uncomfortable. Is it a standard practice?

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,248
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I've had a door and windows replaced here, done in three stages. First time, the installer asked for a deposit (10% if I recall), but that was after he had measured up. The next two jobs, no deposit asked for.
    I would be reluctant to put down a 50% deposit, and would always want the job properly surveyed/measured before committing.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 11 February at 6:22PM

Some of the providers are independent and they have asked for 50% deposit upfront, even before they visit the property and do a survey. Note that the quotes are based on our own measurements. 
    Makes no sense to me, although I'm no expert. What's the purpose of the deposit? What if the survey shows that the the work is more complex than expected and the price has to be higher? E.g. lintels have to be added?

We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,396
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Personally I'd steer well clear. 

Survey, quote properly, then deposit to secure.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,078
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Is asking for such a big deposit before the survey reasonable?

Sounds well dodgy, but seems strange that more one has asked the same.

Anyway pay nothing until everything is surveyed/measured up again and you actually place an order. Then some kind of deposit would be normal.

The quotes we received are in the region of £6,500 - £10,000 (which seems to be quite a big range!). 

As with everything in life there are different qualities, and companies have different ideas about what to charge and how busy they are.

The installation quality is probably more important/variable than the windows themselves.

• MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,024
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sounds dodgy to me too and so is a quote on your own measurements 

Get companies out and do their own measurements then quote 
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,090
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Personally I'd steer well clear. 

Survey, quote properly, then deposit to secure.
    That's the way it's always worked for me.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback