Passport expiry date

Options
Hi all

We are flying to Greece on the 3rd April for 7 nights returning on the 10th April.

I have just checked my passport and the expiry date is 24th July 2024. It is advised that you must have 3 months left on your passport, just wondering if I will be ok or will I be cutting it a little fine with the dates?

Cheers.

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    What is the start date of the passport?  I thought there was something about it needing be be more than 3 months from the end of the 10th year of the passport.  I may be wrong though as I don't have a UK passport and different rules apply for me.

But if 24/7/24 is the expiry date officially and you are back on the 10th April you have 2 weeks spare.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi all

We are flying to Greece on the 3rd April for 7 nights returning on the 10th April.

I have just checked my passport and the expiry date is 24th July 2024. It is advised that you must have 3 months left on your passport, just wondering if I will be ok or will I be cutting it a little fine with the dates?

Cheers.
    Has the passport been renewed previous and was it renewed early and you received ten year plus date this no longer applies so you have only ten years from start date of the present passport
  • JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    35har1old said:
    Hi all

Cheers.
    Has the passport been renewed previous and was it renewed early and you received ten year plus date this no longer applies so you have only ten years from start date of the present passport
    So wrong!  You have to return to UK within 3 months of the expiry date.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £325 of £366
  • howlsatthemoon
    Options
    Hi all, sorry made a mistake expiry is actually 17/07/24 and date of issue was 17/07/14
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 10 February at 9:12PM
    Options
    JGB1955 said:
    35har1old said:
    Hi all

Cheers.
    So wrong!  You have to return to UK within 3 months of the expiry date.
    I think you need to check ABTA site for new rules that apply to passports 
    The passport is only valid for ten years from date of issue  for entry  and you return can be  up to three months of expiry date

It appears that the OP has his first passport so has no surplus months beyond the ten year period.
    If it had not been his first passport you could be easily caught out by the extended expiry date
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is no 'cutting it fine' for EU travel with a UK passport, either it is valid for the the dates of travel, or it is not.
    For EU travel your UK passport must be:
    • issued less than 10 years before the date you enter the country (check the ‘date of issue’).
    • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’ printed in your passport)
     Your passport fulfills the requirements for your intended travel dates.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • howlsatthemoon
    Options
    Thanks eDicky, was hoping I was ok, didn't want to take the chance of trying to renew my passport and it not coming back in time.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,450 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 February at 1:37AM
    Options
    35har1old said:
    Not recommended - it makes far more sense to check the official gov.uk and EU pages for definitive information, rather than relying on a trade association whose website still includes a 2019 document that gives wrong data about passport validity, which came up on another thread recently too.

Edit: this one - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80557508/#Comment_80557508
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    35har1old said:
    Not recommended - it makes far more sense to check the official gov.uk and EU pages for definitive information, rather than relying on a trade association whose website still includes a 2019 document that gives wrong data about passport validity, which came up on another thread recently too.

Edit: this one - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80557508/#Comment_80557508
    Here - for Greece:
    Entry requirements - Greece travel advice - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Passport validity requirements

If you are planning to travel to an EU country (except Ireland), or Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or Vatican City, you must follow the Schengen area passport requirements.

Your passport must be:

• issued less than 10 years before the date you enter the country (check the ‘date of issue’)
    • valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the ‘expiry date’)

You must check your passport meets these requirements before you travel. If your passport was issued before 1 October 2018, extra months may have been added to its expiry date.

• noitsnotme
    noitsnotme Posts: 910 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks eDicky, was hoping I was ok, didn't want to take the chance of trying to renew my passport and it not coming back in time.
    Just as an aside, I was pleasantly surprised how quickly our new passports were processed recently. We applied online on Sunday 28th Jan.  Posted the old passports on Monday 29th that arrived at the passport office the following day.  And our new passports were delivered to us on Saturday 3rd Feb.  6 days from start to finish, I was very impressed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback