Barclays Travel Wallet

Options
I have just set up a travel wallet from my Barclays app and have started to top up with Euros for an upcoming trip to Ireland. I have searched the internet for the answers to the below questions, however I cannot find a definitive answer to either… thanks in advance to anyone that can help clarify…

1. When I tap my card abroad, how does it know to use Euros from the wallet rather than Stirling from my current account? I guess it just knows the transaction is in Euro’s right?

2. Does it work with Apple Pay or do I need to use the physical debit card? 

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A card transaction in euros will deduct from the wallet of euros that you have already converted. I would consider it safe to assume that Apple Pay will function as normal.
    Are you aware of the terrible exchange rate cost that Barclays are imposing on you compared to the many other options available, even just use of the Barclays debit card in GBP with its 2.99% fee for non-sterling use..?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • tc83
    tc83 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, I assumed that but wanted to be sure. The idea of the wallet is to avoid the 2.99% not Stirling transaction.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tc83 said:
     The idea of the wallet is to avoid the 2.99% not Stirling transaction.

So they say, but they don't mention the 4.6% markup on the wallet exchange rate instead..!
    Evolution, not revolution
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure