We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

How to protect these Daffs from weather?

Options
Frank99
Frank99 Posts: 609 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
My daffs seem to come up earlier each year and are getting battered by the winter at the moment wondering if i should move them or put a small fence around.

Enjoy everyday like it's your last!

Comments

• Devongardener
    Devongardener Posts: 404 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Most will bounce back up when the weather is quieter.  They are very hardy.   Just pick the ones that have broken off and enjoy them indoors. 
    It’s  really not practicable to put fences around bulbs in most gardens.  
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,566 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Happens every year. Usually March is the time we get daffs but they're early this year........
    But whenever it is the wind always comes. A fence may damage and break the stems by being blown against it.
    Which is why I now grow Tete a Tete and some a bit larger but still low to the ground. Just a few of the bigger ones growing among other plants to support them.
    But the wet has got my snowdrops and crocus.
    As Devon said, most will bounce back when it quietens and brightens.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    2p has the right idea. Grow the smaller varieties if your garden suffers from strong winds. The larger, fancier varieties still fell over every year in our reasonably sheltered woodland, so out they came. It was the gardening equivalent of driving a Porsche on a 4x4 testing circuit!
    Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Likewise, row the smaller ones. Says he who struggles on with larger flowered ones in the vain hope that one year they will be upright all season, and every year inwardly weeps at the broken stems & promises. :'(

If yours are naturalised in grass, and you have the cash, I always envy the swathes of hoop ones at Wisley. Nothing like the yellow one, but delicate I think.

Here's my Tete a Tete this morning, still upright

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • GreenBucket24
    GreenBucket24 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 March at 12:56AM
    Options
    Frank99 said:
    My daffs seem to come up earlier each year and are getting battered by the winter at the moment wondering if i should move them or put a small fence around.

@Frank99,
    In our garden two years ago, I transplanted all our lovely tall Daffs around our boundary fences (a foot away from the fence) that are still visible where we can appreciate their beautiful flowers from every windows. Their flowers were saved from windy episodes in our area. This is how they look now in the West facing border ... most strong winds in our area is easterly, westerly wind is mild, don't bother them at all.

Hopefully, you will continue to enjoy your daffs! It is a matter of repositioning to save your precious plants.
    "My gardening illustrates my artistic passion with plants" - GreenBucket24
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure