Occasional landline phone calls

Options
Stuart_W
Stuart_W Posts: 1,734 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 8 February at 7:05PM in Phones & TV
My sister part owns a small holiday home which I often visit.

It is in an area with no mobile signal, so she's kept the landline active.

It isn't used enough to justify any of the inclusive calls packages, but per minute charges and connection fees make using it occasionally quite expensive.

I used to be an expert on all the various indirect calls suppliers from landlines 20 odd years ago where you could decide which supplier to use based on type of call, time of day etc.  That's all changed now of course.

Anyone know the best options for the odd landline call? There is no internet available.

I have been using 1899 for 2p/min 4p connection fee calls to landlines and topupnow for 5p/min 4p connection fee calls to mobiles, both are finerra companies that are still on the go. 

Anyone know of anything better? Most previous providers have all long gone, and the remaining phone card ones often have sneaky expiry dates.

Comments

• jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Does the holiday home have broadband? In which case, you can use WiFi calling on your mobile.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No, there is no broadband to the property and no mobile signal (all networks) - which is why landline calls are occasionally needed. 
  • Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Stuart_W said:
    No, there is no broadband to the property and no mobile signal (all networks) - which is why landline calls are occasionally needed. 
    Can you not get broadband there? Then you could just use Skype or something or a VoIP phone.
    Broadband isn't normally more expensive than just a landline anyway
  • bunnygo
    bunnygo Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    forget it. Any new contract will be enforced digital voice, remember it won't work in a power cut. As there is no mobile signal either, all I can suggest is a satellite phone for emergencies. Or a carrier pigeon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback