Non-fault claim when I haven't done any claim on a reported incident? is that right?

Hi,

I was in a little incident, not my fault, no damages to my car, but the faulty car had some scratches. nevertheless, the faulty car made a claim, after investigation and evidence they have accepted liability, but then I was told because there was this incident I have a non-fault claim registered in my records even if I haven't done myself a claim.

The other insurer paid for all costs incurred as I was informed so I do not understand why do I have registered that in my records.  

Is that actually correct, is there something I can do about it? 
Thanks

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,136
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    When you get a quote for insurance you are asked something along the lines of "how many incidents have you been involved in in the last 5 years irrespective of if you claimed or not?"

Similarly your current contract of insurance will require you to declare any incident.

You've been involved in an incident, so yes it does have to be declared. For many insurers a single non-fault incident on an otherwise good risk will have no impact, for some there will be a modest increase in premiums but naturally you'll be shopping around to find the best value anyway.

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,225
    Forumite
    Sherlyta said:
    Hi,

I was in a little incident, not my fault, no damages to my car, but the faulty car had some scratches. nevertheless, the faulty car made a claim, after investigation and evidence they have accepted liability, but then I was told because there was this incident I have a non-fault claim registered in my records even if I haven't done myself a claim.

The other insurer paid for all costs incurred as I was informed so I do not understand why do I have registered that in my records.  

Is that actually correct, is there something I can do about it? 
    Thanks
    Yes, it is correct. You were in an accident and regardless of any claim you should have reported this to your insurer. The matter was resolved after the third party resolved it, as a non-fault claim, the is factually correct. 
  • Sherlyta
    Sherlyta Posts: 50
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks a lot for that confirmation. It does make more sense now. I did reported the incident in first place, stating that the other party was at fault, I didn't expect later the other party will make a claim putting fault at me. Thanks again!
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,225
    Forumite
    Sherlyta said:
    Thanks a lot for that confirmation. It does make more sense now. I did reported the incident in first place, stating that the other party was at fault, I didn't expect later the other party will make a claim putting fault at me. Thanks again!
    People often have very odd understandings of what is their fault and what is not. I was had a claim against me for being at fault because a courier drove into the side of my car whilst their van was pulling out from a turning opposite, I was parked, in a designated bay and I was unloading from the boot, they tried to claim I somehow swerved into them, luckily there were several witnesses, but they argued it for a year and a half before it was resolved. A friend was rear-ended whilst stopped at a red traffic light, that took more than a year to resolve with the other party claiming it was my friends fault for a variety of reasons, the two most spurious of which were that my friend's brake lights were illegal and disconnected because they were not on (they had the handbrake on) and that my friend "made the sun shine in my eyes", the world some people live in is clearly very disconnected from reality. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback