Octopus: broken electricity smart meter

Sterlingtimes
Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,358
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
I now have a clear status from Octopus regarding my broken smart meter. Octopus will not replace a meter that works for meter readings but does not work for half-hourly data. I wonder how many broken smart meters there are in the field. 

My meter worked for many years until July 2023. It even survived DCC adoption.

I would need to pay £400 to have my broken smart meter replaced. 

"The issue with your first generation smart meter is a known issue and there is currently no fix for this.

The meter has stopped sending us half hourly readings which we completely understand is very frustrating but as your meter is communicating with us and working as it should in terms of sending us daily readings then we would not be able to exchange the meter.

Your tariff is billed from reading to reading each month and so the half hourly readings are not required/necessary.

We would only be able to exchange the meter if it was faulty or not communicating with us at all as there is up to a £400 charge for exchanging meters that are not needing to be exchanged."

I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,193
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If you are not using a tariff that requires 30 min readings what is the issue? 
  • Sterlingtimes
    Forumite
    The main issue is that I cannot take advantage of smart tariffs and smart schemes. The secondary issue is that my weekly, monthly and yearly tabs in the app just show a silly picture of an Octopus riding a motorbike.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,223
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The main issue is that I cannot take advantage of smart tariffs and smart schemes. The secondary issue is that my weekly, monthly and yearly tabs in the app just show a silly picture of an Octopus riding a motorbike.

Your tariff is billed from reading to reading each month and so the half hourly readings are not required/necessary.

I wonder if you applied for one of the ToU tariffs, if they would then be willing to change the meter? I am wondering if as you are currently on SVT they see no point.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,193
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    If you can benefit from one if the TOU tariffs I am pretty sure they will change your meter after you request a change of tariff. 

The loss of 30 minute reporting is probable down to a remote firmware update to your SM. 
  • Sterlingtimes
    Forumite
    I wonder if you applied for one of the ToU tariffs, if they would then be willing to change the meter? I am wondering if as you are currently on SVT they see no point.
    That's a good thought. Thank you.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Forumite

The loss of 30 minute reporting is probable down to a remote firmware update to your SM. 
    Perhaps that's the issue. The meter was installed 15/06/2015. It worked seamlessly across a range of suppliers: Ovo, Octopus, Economy, EDF and Octopus again.  It worked with Agile. The DCC adopted it, and it still worked. Then, in the middle of July 2023, it died (or was killed) suddenly, aged 8.
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,335
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If they refuse to let you switch to a TOU tariff then you could try a complaint/escalating to the ombudsman on the basis the 'faulty' meter is actually causing you a disadvantage/costing you money. 

No prediction for the outcome but wouldn't cost you anything but time given Octopus have acknowledged the problem and that it's not going to be fixed remotely. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • Sterlingtimes
    Forumite
    ... try a complaint/escalating to the ombudsman on the basis the 'faulty' meter is actually causing you a disadvantage/costing you money. 

I have checked that Octopus has no legal/regulatory obligation to provide half-hourly readings. Provided the meter can take a meter reading, it is required to do nothing more. Hence, smart meters need not be repaired, provided they offer the regulatory minimum functionality.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback