PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Negotiating New Build / Barrett - Redrow Merger

SPWaller
SPWaller Posts: 12
First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
Hi all,

Just read the news about the £2.5billion Barrett merger with Redrow and was wondering how this will affect things for new customers looking to buy with them.

Any thoughts most 

Comments

• I doubt it myself.

It's never a merger. Barratt agreed a valuation of redrow yesterday (or earlier) and are buying it up 

If anything redrow might be relieved that they've been bought. A few weeks ago there might have been pressure to hit certain sales targets to make the company more valuable for the current owners.

A bit of that went on when I worked at companies being brought 
  • TheJP
    TheJP Posts: 1,642
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I don't see how the merger would give you more to negotiate with, Barrett are the biggest house developer in the UK so i don't see anything affecting your built. Your house may even be completed before the merger even takes place.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,116
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    TheJP said:
    I don't see how the merger would give you more to negotiate with, Barrett are the biggest house developer in the UK so i don't see anything affecting your built. Your house may even be completed before the merger even takes place.
    Yes, mergers sometimes even fall through, and even when they go ahead often they remain two separate legal entities with their own identity. It takes years to fully merge big companies.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,319
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why do you think the merger might be relevant to your purchase?
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 2,958
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I was wondering if this might get referred to the CMA - two big builders, which combined must represent a good chunk of the house building industry.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback