Insurance and family members

Hello! I'm thinking about applying for the Virgin Money Club M packaged account that includes both travel and gadget cover for me and family members. I was wondering though, do they require a proof that other family members live at the same address? I'm only asking because my partner has recently started living at my address, doesn't have a bill in her name for now, and even though we plan to fix that in the future, I was wondering if the cover would still apply before then.
Thanks!

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,029
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    With this type of package account they typically only look into indemnity questions at the point of claim. So for an unmarried partner they may ask for proof of address, especially if when you send proof of purchase etc it shows a different address to yours. 
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,611
    Forumite
    Not had to prove anything (not even had to give names) for my family members for my bank account based insurances like travel.

Not had to make a claim on the travel insurance yet so can't answer the procedure at that point.

Does she have a car? If so I assume the insurance and V5 have been changed to reflect and could be a good starting point if required.

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,240
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    If your partner drives they will need to update their driving licence.  I would expect that to be enough evidence of address.
  • Ringo90
    Ringo90 Posts: 69
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    400ixl said:
    Not had to prove anything (not even had to give names) for my family members for my bank account based insurances like travel.

Not had to make a claim on the travel insurance yet so can't answer the procedure at that point.

Does she have a car? If so I assume the insurance and V5 have been changed to reflect and could be a good starting point if required.

Thanks! No, neither of us have a car, so I was mainly wondering about travel and gadget cover!
  • mexican_dave
    mexican_dave Posts: 242
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I have no idea if proof of address is necessary for you insurance question, but your partner is moving in, then as they update their banking details; credit card details; etc you will soon have the proof of address, should you need it. When are you expecting to travel? Don't you want travel insurance for medical emergency for your partner too? You usually have to name people then anyway, even if an address is not specified.
  • Ringo90
    Forumite
    I have no idea if proof of address is necessary for you insurance question, but your partner is moving in, then as they update their banking details; credit card details; etc you will soon have the proof of address, should you need it. When are you expecting to travel? Don't you want travel insurance for medical emergency for your partner too? You usually have to name people then anyway, even if an address is not specified.
    We are traveling next month. Yes she would need to update banking details but, although rare, sometimes that is not accepted as proof of address (probably because it's just too easy to change the address through an app and download a statement with the new address on it? Just guessing). Anyway, that is a reason why I was wondering what kind of proof they need.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,029
    Forumite
    Ringo90 said:
    We are traveling next month. Yes she would need to update banking details but, although rare, sometimes that is not accepted as proof of address (probably because it's just too easy to change the address through an app and download a statement with the new address on it? Just guessing). Anyway, that is a reason why I was wondering what kind of proof they need.
    Bank statements, council tax bills etc are all recommended to be acceptable as proof of address even for more important government things as long as they are issued in the last 3 months (or last year for council tax bills)

When needing some proof of address for the Mrs (all bills are in my name) I was surprised that with our Council we could simply go online and put it into joint names. The effect of doing this though wasn't to correct future tax bills but it adjusted all the historic ones during our ownership of the property!

Whilst you can so simply do it, ultimately it makes that person liable for the bills and removing names tends to be much harder. Hence most will accept that people won't take on a lifetime of council tax bills just to try and claim £250 delayed travel off their insurance. 

Similarly with change of address, yes you could just do it but in principle that will then be reported to the CRAs and you'll have 6 years of potentially having to declare it as a temporary address and the impact living at an address for a short term has on credit determinations. 
  • Ringo90
    Forumite
    Whilst you can so simply do it, ultimately it makes that person liable for the bills and removing names tends to be much harder. Hence most will accept that people won't take on a lifetime of council tax bills just to try and claim £250 delayed travel off their insurance. 
    Without getting into too much detail about our personal circumstances, this is one of the reasons we were thinking of postponing putting her name on bills if possible.
    Thank you for all the other info you have provided! Much appreciated
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure