OVO threatening with debt collecters for £100 4 years after ac closed and paid off

Four years after closing my account I am getting threatening emails saying that I owe £100. Apparently they will hand it to debt collectors in 7 days. To be honest I thought it was spam but I just phoned. I was told that the 100 I was refunded because I overpaid they want back. ( I do not remember this even happening! ) They will investigate but what am I supposed to do? I am ASD and worrying to the point I can’t think about other things. I am overdrawn just now and not sure how to manage anyway. I settled my ac when I switched supplier. I was in credit. 

Any advice? 

Thanks

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,633
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have they sent you a breakdown of the charges or some sort of letter that shows the transactions?

When were you first advised of this?

Are you able to pay the money back if you need to - or would you need time to pay?
  • stripling
    stripling Posts: 75
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Four years after closing my account I am getting threatening emails saying that I owe £100. Apparently they will hand it to debt collectors in 7 days. To be honest I thought it was spam but I just phoned. I was told that the 100 I was refunded because I overpaid they want back. ( I do not remember this even happening! ) They will investigate but what am I supposed to do? I am ASD and worrying to the point I can’t think about other things. I am overdrawn just now and not sure how to manage anyway. I settled my ac when I switched supplier. I was in credit. 

Any advice? 

Thanks
    Ring Citizen's Advice asap - they will help and explain your rights to you and whether OVO can do this. 
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,240
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    edited 7 February at 1:17PM
    Getting out of your overdraft is more important than paying this speculative invoice.

The debt-free wannabe board may be more appropriate for you. You will find a prove-it letter very useful at this time.

Debt collectors just means that you will get letters with a different letterhead. Debt collection agencies are not bailiffs.

If you're going to try CA then good luck in getting someone to answer and getting someone that knows what they are talking about.
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,135
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Definitely get some help with this one and it is possible that CAB can assist.
    Just to set expectations, if OVO can prove that there was a billing error and that the charges for energy should have been higher then if there had been a £100 refund from DD payments at some point, they are entitled to recover that amount and the back-billing rules will not offer any protection.
    They do have to prove the £100 was refunded and that the amount billed at the point when the account was closed was wrong by at least £100, so certainly don't try to pay it until the facts are established.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback