late degree awarded

Options
Good evening all,

I came back here as you previously helped me with some issues and would like to ask you for help again. 

I graduated my Bachelor's Degree in 2021 but was not given the diploma. I was invited at the graduation ceremony but then, all of a sudden, they cancelled. I contacted the college and the university and told me I failed two modules. I told them I passed all my exams and sent the proof but they still contacted me to repeat the modules. After many phone calls where nobody picked up, emails sent with no reply, I sent a formal complaint last week and I received an answer that my award has been processed and that I should be getting it at the end of the month.
Now, I was told that I could get compensation because I couldn't continue my studies all this time and that I couldn't attend the graduation ceremony with my classmates and my friends.
Is it true? Can I get compensation for the above?

Thank you so much.

Comments

• Devongardener
    Devongardener Posts: 404 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Which University did you study at? It’s unusual to get no response to phone or email if it was it was one of the mainstream establishments.   Who sent you the proof that you had passed all modules?
  • alebazi
    alebazi Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    University of West London. I took print screens of all my submissions and grades at that time...
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    alebazi said:
    Now, I was told that I could get compensation because I couldn't continue my studies all this time and that I couldn't attend the graduation ceremony with my classmates and my friends.
    Is it true? Can I get compensation for the above?
    Generally in the UK you are only entitled to be put in the same financial position as if the issue/event hadn't happened. You cannot get compensation for what might of happened and we don't have punitive damages (ie higher claims than the loss to punish the defendant).

So what has been the real world impact on you? Have you had to defer starting another course? Have you been kicked off a graduate scheme? 

Missing the graduation ceremony is much more likely to get a modest gesture of goodwill rather than having a legal entitlement to compensation, after all they've saved you the cost of gown hire etc. 
  • alebazi
    alebazi Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Because they hadn't release my degree award since 2021, I lost two years in which I could have finished my studies.
    Now I cannot enroll to any course due to medical condition
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure